Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
quick pistol questions
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 07 9:12 am    Post subject: quick pistol questions Reply with quote

I know next to nothing about guns, so a couple of quick questions.

If one were to be looking to cull a politician, using a revolver and silencer/suppressor what would be the optimum weapon? Why?
Are pistols rifled? How quickly do the bullets spin?
What ammunition would be best and what consequences?

For a work of fiction (homework) - any connection with government officials living (for the moment) is pure coincidence....
honest

Apparently Kafka wrote 'The door opened a crack. A revolver appeared and an outstretched arm.'
I have to write a couple of pages starting with this line.

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 07 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silencers don't work properly with revolvers, you'll need a semi auto.

MarkS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 07 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How badly do they not work?

I was thinking that since the opening line is Kafka I would write from the point of view of the bullet or the gun, hence the 'technical' questions.

Behemoth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 07 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not the door?

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 07 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the gap between the frame and the chamber allows gas and hence noise to emerge.

Kafka - you can talk about the random chance that caused that particular bullet out of the six in the chamber to be fired.

Northern_Lad

Probably best to google it.

I assume that they don't work becauseof the physical arrangement: revolvers have a section at the back that, well, revolves. This isn't particularly solis as it needs to rotate. Pistols have a spring mechanism to 'pop' the next bullet into the chamber. The body of the gun spings back with the firing, releasing the cartridge and letting the next one pop in.

As to your riffling question: I believe all modern 'explosive' firearms are riffled.

Probably your best way to do it is pick a specific gun and find out what's what with it.

Northern_Lad

Jonnyboy wrote:
Kafka - you can talk about the random chance that caused that particular bullet out of the six in the chamber to be fired.

Russian Routette Assasination?

Northern_Lad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 07 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behemoth wrote:
Why not the door?

don't be daft; doors can't be rifled.

Behemoth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 07 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me the door is being used and implicated in the act but is getting no consideration or appreciation. In fact the humble door has now become something to fear due to the unknown assailant behind it.

Russian Tourettes is an idea to toy with.

MarkS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 07 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern_Lad wrote:
Behemoth wrote:
Why not the door?

don't be daft; doors can't be rifled.

but drawers can.

but I like the russian roulette assasin

whitelegg1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 07 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a revolver. Make it a Nagant M1895.
I would find an appropriate link, but they don't allowed 'gun' website at work!!

Apparently silencers DO work with this one!

Pete

KILLITnGRILLIT

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 07 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they are rifled with a slow twist rate and the ammunition would need to be subsonic as the "sound moderator", as we of the PC brigade call them, would n`t work as the bullet would be breaking the sound barrier and therefore negating the use of said mod.
A flat nose bullet or a dum-dum would work well and be spectacularly messy but I believe there are flat nosed bullets that are filled with fluid(can`t remember what though) in which there are lead shot, so that when the bullet is fired it flings the shot to the rear of the bullet and when the bullet hits the body and starts to de-form the shot fly forward and burst through the nose like an explosive force. I imagine it would be similar to what we use for vermin, the ballistic tipped bullets, they have a plastic tip which fills the hollow nose of the bullet and when this strikes the body the plastic tip deforms the bullet very fast making it mushroom as it passes into the body cavity and causing heavy trauma and hydraulic shock.
The idea with any projectile is to get it to expend enough or all energy inside the animal(or human I suppose) and give a fast kill.

Try the beretta site... https://www.berettausa.com/product/product_pistols_main.htm

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 07 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a hollowed round with a mercury internal load makes a mess even at sub sonic velocity from a .45 or such with a suppressor , this would be a reasonable tool (or .22 head shot .twice )
stuff subtlety , ak47 work is reliable
for subtle knife or poison is best
hope that helps

Gervase

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 07 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glycerine can be substituted for mercury - particularly if the rounds are not going to be used quickly, when the mercury can form a solid amalgam with the lead core. Not quite as 'explosive' but still messy.
Simplest of all, though, is a hollow point.

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 07 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has this thread exceeded it's survivalist geek quota yet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive