About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Alpacas. Why?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 05 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a couple up the lane from us who have four of them. ('them' being used as I am not sure if they are alpacas or llamas!). You shoudl see the ponies eyes come out on stalks when they meet them coming up the lane being lead out for walks!
She also takes one of her home bred (hand reared too I think) ones on hospital visits, reound schools etc as a meet and greet type thing! I expect he would like to join you in the pub Gertie!

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 05 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course Swindon has llamas

https://www.jasperfforde.com/swindon/7ws_7.html

Nanny

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 05 11:50 am    Post subject: alpacas Reply with quote

GOATS?

did somebody say GOATS?

as far as i know still available....not smelly.....not nasty- full of character...

and as for alpacas- i would have one tomorrow if i had my own land - in fact i'd have 2 tomorrow

lovely creatures, useful for sheep guarding and packing

leave the car at home and WALK somewhere with your alpaca/llama/donkey carrying your lunch.it's a wonderful way to spend a couple of hours andyou can get your groceries home as well

yes you can walk with the dogs and we do frequently but walking with a different type of animal put s a whole different slant on things

sorry came in on this one a bit late didn't i?

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 05 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I am back.

We have 5 alpacas. We bought them after a huge fox attack. To be quite honest, I had only gone to buy some chairs, but you know how it is

We have 4 geldings and one in tact males.

They cost £2000 for the 5.

So far I have sold the fleece to local spinners. This has contributed to the capital cost, after the care costs have been taken into consideration.

We have them sheered once a year, and they also have their overhaul at that time too. Injections, feet, teeth etc.

In the summer they live in the same paddock as the poultry. At the moment they are out with the sheep and lambs.

If a fox or badger come into the field then they go for a low necked run towards them, and start to circle them running them off.

In the poultry field we have still lost a couple to foxes, but usually they notice the comotion before any more than one is killed and chase the fox off.

Plus they are cute!!

wellington womble

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 05 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the males all live happily together, or is that why you've only got one intact one? I really fancy some of these (especially since I got hold of some alpaca wool, and its gorgeous. I really need some natural material jumpers, as I keep getting electric shocks from the static charge on fleece!)

So are they easy for beginners, or should I start with something a little smaller. I've never had any real livestock before, although I can manage to look after a dog!

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 05 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Males will happily live together, ours had been done before we got them.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 05 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where would you put them WW? Cunningly disguised as a couple of South American students in the spare bedroom? Al & his mate Paca?

moggins

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 05 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why not, a friend of mine kept her goat in the back bedroom at night

wellington womble

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 05 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
Where would you put them WW? Cunningly disguised as a couple of South American students in the spare bedroom? Al & his mate Paca?

Judging by the state of the pets in our house, tucked up on the sofa by the fire! I might start by keeping them at livery, while I learn what to do with them, and then move on to renting a field. This is all hypothetical, and depends where we are living, and in what circumstances in a couple of years. My MIL is thinking of getting some to look after her paddock, so I suppose I could persude her to have them to stay!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive