Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Sport?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 07 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy B wrote:
No, but sado masochism is a possiblity. And as many a husband dragged around the shops to buy lady clothes will testify, not all participants are willing.

It's my birthday on Saturday so we're going to Cardiff as a treat. To go shopping. For a new watch for Mrs. SheepShed apparently. No, men really haven't got the hang of this shopping lark

Behemoth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 07 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linger in the lingerie.

Andy B

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 07 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheepShed wrote:
Andy B wrote:
No, but sado masochism is a possiblity. And as many a husband dragged around the shops to buy lady clothes will testify, not all participants are willing.

It's my birthday on Saturday so we're going to Cardiff as a treat. To go shopping. For a new watch for Mrs. SheepShed apparently. No, men really haven't got the hang of this shopping lark

The depths of mental cruelty that some people are put through is just beyond belief.

KILLITnGRILLIT

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 07 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....and back on track.......

........Ian has still to reply fully to the posts, we`ll leave any handbags outside too.

BTW - if you haven`t guessed I`m a hunter too

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 07 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a hunt
they are not supposed to stand a chance
mmm boar sausage
ps if you mess with these critters they will kill and eat you

sparky

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 07 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my favret sport is

HUNTING

also if phesants wernt bread how many peeps think thay would beable to live in the wild (without the hunter) and not becomb extinkt
after all thay aint the cleverest of creatures

hunting is a sport even if the end is murder (said in a scotich accent)

happy hunting all

Went

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 07 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KILLITnGRILLIT wrote:

........Ian has still to reply fully to the posts, we`ll leave any handbags outside too.

BTW - if you haven`t guessed I`m a hunter too

I am following this thread with great interest and find the differing views on hunting v sport thought provoking.

I am not sure I am qualified to pass judgement - being a lifelong vegetarian (47 years without meat or fish), I doubt if I could kill an animal for any reason other than a life or death situation. If I were pushed to comment....well Bodger´s posts seem more in tune with what I would call the true spirit of hunting......

king rat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 07 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Bodger does have a more rational view on this topic. I would also add that a sportsmen should give his quarry a fair chance and maximum respect..
A fox pursued by hounds (Although now illegal to a certain degree)
has a good chance of escape. I class that as sporting. A fox in an enclosed space with no escape -not sporting !! Again not legal either and most likely not practiced, just an example statement.
I don't believe hunters and followers cannot be called sportsmen or women. The thrill off the chase is a sport irrespective of whether the end result is a dead animal. I went hunting to see a pack off hounds working and following a scent in full cry. The killing of the fox was not high on my agenda so I considered my day one of good sport. My ambition was not to catch the fox and so I would not term myself as merely a hunter.
I do shoot and I fish. If I coarse fish then I return my catch to the water. Is that not a sport as the end result is not to kill the creature for the pot but to be sporting and release my catch???
I shoot merely for the pot and as Bodger stated to think off shooting a hare from the seat or something equally as unsporting would never be considered. I enjoy my fieldsports and am happy to term them as such.

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 07 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't describe what I do as sport though I can see what those hunters who do mean by it.
I'm basically a 'shoot it for the pot' person, as easily as possible so I get an instant clean kill, and only as many as I need for myself (so not that many).

king rat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 07 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But are you not being sporting by only taking what you need ???
If you were under a flight of geese for example and you selected a couple of good birds for the pot and then deciding that you were extremely happy that you had enough, and what you had taken were killed cleanly is that not being Sporting ???
If we set out with the intent to pursue a quarry then we are all hunters, if we enjoy what we do and can say we do it with maximum consideration for what we hunt then we are sporting.
That makes me a hunter and a sportsman who enjoys the sport of hunting.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 07 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

king rat wrote:
I would also add that a sportsmen should give his quarry a fair chance and maximum respect..

Those can be contradictory though. I don't care what it's called but if giving something a chance increases the risk of just wounding an animal then it's certainly not sporting in any sense.

king rat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 07 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not agree more, thus having maximum respect for the quarry would not allow your ego to chance the long shot etc. Maximum respect is doing ones best to ensure a clean kill. Being sporting is not wanting to kill for the sake off it. Providing a quarry with a fair chance of safe escape is acceptable. If I find myself under a flight of pigeons do I stay there and hammer them or do I say I have enough for myself and put my gun away. I still want to kill the birds I shoot at as cleanly as possible which comes down to selection of target in a sporting fashion. I am however pitting my wits against a wild bird that has great opportunity of escape.

Bodger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 07 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TD
You are presuming that by giving the quarry a chance, that you are increasing its chance of being wounded. This is not the case.

By 'the chance' we mean that theres a chance that you might not find the quarry or get yourself in a position where you can take a clean shot. Thats the sporting bit.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 07 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bodger wrote:
TD
You are presuming that by giving the quarry a chance, that you are increasing its chance of being wounded. This is not the case.

By 'the chance' we mean that theres a chance that you might not find the quarry or get yourself in a position where you can take a clean shot. Thats the sporting bit.

That might apply to you and others, but there are people who think that taking a harder shot than many would seem acceptable as more sporting and that's what I'm not happy about.

Bodger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 07 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know any of those sort of people in field sports, if you do, then you have been unlucky in making the aquaintance of an absolute minority.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive