Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Hugh's chicken run
Page 1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Author 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 07 12:18 am    Post subject: Hugh's chicken run Reply with quote

From the River cottage site - anybody know which channel this is on?

"NEW SERIES! HUGH'S CHICKEN RUN

In this hard-hitting series, Hugh learns about the reality of modern poultry production and sets up his own intensive farm – revealing what it takes for chickens to be sold cheaper than a pint of beer. Hugh's Chicken Run will air on consecutive nights: the 7th, 8th and 9th January 2008"

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 07 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C4 at a guess.

bernie-woman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 07 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely C4

Some info here on what it is all about

Chicken Run

Also sign up here for the chicken out campaign

Mary-Jane

Location: The Fishing Strumpet is from Ceredigion in West Wales
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 07 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me. We'll be watching...and supporting. Signed up already.

crofter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 07 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably he had to rear his own intensive birds because no supermarket suppliers were willing to show him theirs? I remember being inside a battery shed years ago, and it will be interesting to see if Hughs place is as horrible.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 07 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked at his new site but didn't find any mention of all the imported chicken products. Does anyone know if what the campaign is going to do about that?

cab

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 07 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My impression is that the campaign is aimed as much at consumers as at producers; by persuading people not to buy factory farmed meat you impact on imported and domestic poultry markets.

bernie-woman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 07 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
I've looked at his new site but didn't find any mention of all the imported chicken products. Does anyone know if what the campaign is going to do about that?

One of the purposes of the campaign is to change the labelling on poultry products so that the customer can actually identify what they are buying - from an interview I heard him do on the radio his major concern apart from the animal welfare issue is that customers do not know what they are buying and have little way of finding out - whether they still buy intensively reared/imported chicken is anyones guess but at the moment he wants to change the ignorance issue due to lack of information

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 07 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearer labelling is always welcome. In the case of chicken isn't it a case of if it's not organic or free range then it will be factory farmed and if it doesn't say it's from the UK then you assume it's imported?

I would love factory farming to be banned overnight and the same conditions placed on imports. I hope the series might do something towards that but if the country is still eating 95% factory farmed chicken products after all the previous publicity, even by Hugh, I'm not too hopeful (hopefully I'm wrong).

On a different note, anyone following this don't forget pet-foods. Most of them will contain factory farmed meat.

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 07 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With almost a billion chickens killed each year if programmes like this reduce the count bt 0.1% then it's a difference. It also helps if the supermarkets can be made aware that it's a growing issue. If they can be persuaded to change their stocking policy over time then that's half the battle.

bernie-woman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 07 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
Clearer labelling is always welcome. In the case of chicken isn't it a case of if it's not organic or free range then it will be factory farmed and if it doesn't say it's from the UK then you assume it's imported?

I think Hugh is trying to preach to those shoppers who don't yet even think of where and how the chicken is produced but also like many he would prefer the free rang/organic to be the norm and for producers to actually have to describe how the chicken was produced

dougal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 07 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Jamie's on the case too...

"Jamies Fowl Dinners"

Channel 4 Jan 11 @ 9pm

**Link**

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 07 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonnyboy wrote:
With almost a billion chickens killed each year if programmes like this reduce the count bt 0.1% then it's a difference.

Initially it looks like a good idea but if it puts UK factory farm producers out of business and doesn't stop people buying factory farmed chicken in years to come it could easily mean greater food imports from countries with even worse conditions.

I also vaguely recall similar campaigns just meant people bought other factory farmed meat, e.g. pork. Hopefully people will not do that or switch to unsustainable fish etc. Hopefully the programme will also suggest people who eat too much meat will also eat less.

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 07 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume that by targetting both consumers and producers they are trying to avoid this. Of course if the producers start to sell the message of ethical meat as a result of the channel 4 campaign then the penetration of the message can only increase.

At the moment the only welfare pressure for poultry is the 2012 cage ban.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 07 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonnyboy wrote:
At the moment the only welfare pressure for poultry is the 2012 cage ban.

There has been and I expect there will be many other other programmes and campaigns and other 'higher end' supermarkets have have stopped using battery chicken products.

I don't think much has changed with the vast majority of people's buying patterns, it'll be interesting to see if this campaign is any different.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 1 of 37
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive