links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
A first step in wild foods...
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 05 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: A first step in wild foods... Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:

So if you haven't tried nettles yet I highly recommend you get doing so. I've now agreed to try them in saag aloo (only of course there won't be any saag...)

well done bugs!

i've not tried them yet, i want to but not being accustomed to growing up with nettles i actually NEED my dh to come with me to make sure i'm getting the right plant!! we're trying to arrange a mutally agreeable time when we can go by ourselves. we feel that dd is too young (3) to understand that you can only pick and eat SOME of the items growing wild so we want to do it when she's in nursery

at any rate we're going to try for wednesday next week so i'll have to get some, i have a few pages of nettles recipes i've put into a word document (let me know if you want them)

as for the saag aloo minus the saag... don't suppose the indian people have a word for nettles do they? (the only indian words i know other than namaste are all food words )

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 05 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the word for nettles I'm afraid, never heard my mum calling them anything and she's certainly never cooked with them so I can only assume that they either don't grow in india or aren't considered edible. I'll ask her if I remember

ButteryHOLsomeness

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 05 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldn't think they would grow in india, or at least not southern india

now the peshwari region, maybe...

would be interesting to know the word for it though, i'm sure that would impress somebody someday for a few seconds until they figured out all i know is food words, you just can't have much a conversation about saag, aloo, bindhi, paneer, chana etc
unless you're talking to a green grocer perhaps

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 05 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we're from up north so maybe it does exist there, but I've never seen it. A good word to add to your vocabulary is bathu (soft t not actually a "th" sound), the word for Fat Hen.

ButteryHOLsomeness

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 05 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can see my indian food based words coming out

i mentioned the peshwari region i meant to say peshwar

can't help it, peshwari nan is heavenly, definately a favourite

thanks for the new word too!

now if i could just find some here

Res

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 05 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've cracked it! I've found the magic ingrediant to make the 'wild food' taste ok..........HOT CHILE POWER!

Works a treat on ground elder and cow parsley with rice, just throw the chopped up 'wild food' into the pan of boiling rice when it's half way trough cooking. Strain when cooked, then mix in some dried basil, quarter teaspoon chile power and a couple of tablespoons of virgin olive oil. Serve immediately......Yummy!

Wild Food Spicy Rice!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive