About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
rhubarb leaf insectiside
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 05 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to use a mixture of garlic and a small bit of soap shavings (disolve the shavings in warm water first) simply mix them both in a water bottle and spray away! it worked very well for me and didn't harm my tomatoes or peppers.

this was years ago when i still lived in texas so i couldn't tell you the amount of water, sorry!

hils

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 05 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats great thanks - I like to hear when these things have worked for someone. I may do a bit of your recipe and add a few rhubarb leaves anyway - just because I've got them!

judith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 05 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble with a rhubarb leaf-based insecticide is that it is going to be non-specific - just like many of the commercial insecticides that you are probably trying to avoid. It is just as likely to kill the ladybird adults and larvae that are tucking into those aphids. That's why the most of the recommended sprays for organic gardeners are soap-based - the soap dissolves the waxy coatings on the aphids, but doesn't harm the ladybirds or other garden goodies.

Also the oxalic acid in rhubarb leaves is pretty toxic to humans too, and you will have no real idea of the concentration in your spray. So I would leave a reasonable gap between spraying and consumption if you are going to use it on edible plants.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive