Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Wild Plant Identification
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 05 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arh, plant B looks like Bryony to me. It will climb with tendrils up something close and produce small white/green flowers and red fruits.....I think. The fruits are poisonous, not sure of the plant.

Bugs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 05 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like this kind of thread (and Pilsbury's, about the borage/comfrey/alkanet thing). Quite fun looking through our books for things, and as Cab suggested last week I am going to try and post up the plants in our garden that I'm not quite certain about.

wildfoodie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 05 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, just looking at the leaf lower right it seems to be distinctly lobed. My field guide shows white bryony bryonia cretica to have 5 lobes and tendrils. I have some mallow in the garden - common mallow - also lobed; but the stems are a lot more woody in appearance in my garden specimens. Field guide says lvs often with a small dark spot. Something about the look of this plant says vigorous grower to me. I daresay all will be revealed in the fullness of spring! can we have some feedback from the photographer please?
jacky

cab

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 05 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, it's not a mallow. I'm sure of that. I've eaten tons of mallow. I'd also say that I'm fairly confident it isn't bryony.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive