Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
It doesn't get much better than this!
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 05 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n wrote:
... I wouldn't use WD40 or veg oil on your machine. Veg oil is much heavier than machine oil and will thoroughly gum up the works.

I think most folk would appreciate that Veg Oil tends to "gum up" the works - whether sewing machines or diesel injectors. It can be chemically "degummed", and for non-food use, thats pretty much required.

n wrote:
Wd 40 evaporates.

Yes, but not really!
Its a complex cocktail, some of which is solvent that does indeed evaporate quickly, but it is there to spread the oil, and it does leave an oily film behind. The disadvantage of using it may be that it actually penetrates too well, and might spread too far!
I heard that (at least some) car paint sprayers ban its presence, saying that the airborne silicones can wreck the paint finish...

n

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 05 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the further info on WD40. I was advised against using it when restoring an old much decorated treadle machine because it would lift the decals.
For more info, try

https://www.needlebar.com/#singer

and go to the restoration section, follow through the "first restoration", right to the end, awesome doesn't seem praise enough really.

I hasten to add, I'm not in this man's league when it comes to restoration.

Celtic Mike

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 05 11:00 am    Post subject: Dehydrator Reply with quote

Dehydator?? This is a new one on me! Where do you buy these and what can you do with them - yes I know its a stupid question but I have never seen one for sale! PLease excuse my ignorance!

ButteryHOLsomeness

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 05 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tchibo had them, they were selling them as a 'dryer' but they don't have any anymore.

you can get them from here https://www.ukjuicers.com/dehydrators.htm but these are the very expensive models, though having said that i must say i've heard rave reviews about the excalibur model and wouldn't say no if i had money to burn!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive