About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
New Bulgarians
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 09 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just updating this. After a very successful three months with our volunteer last year, (thanks Pierce!) we are now arranging a volunteer program for this year. Anytime except winter really! If anyone is interested in living here for periods from 2 weeks to three months, accommodation and food provided, now is the time to start talking with us. Projects for this year include working with cordwood, light clay straw, and constructing a modular living roof. Plus lots of sunshine, walking, climbing, local events etc. Flights out from Gatwick or Manchester are very cheap if arranged in advance with Easyjet, we can arrange pickup or coach from Sofia. You don't need to be young and fit, we aren't!

SuzyJ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 09 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We live in Bulgaria too, near Veliko Tarnovo and are hoping to become more self sufficient.

Been here 2 years and learnt a lot so far and loving our new life.

S

Bulgarianlily

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 09 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snapshot of life in Bulgaria.

We just brought home and stacked 2.5 cubic meters of what could be called 'real wood' in the same way that beer can be 'real ale',produced in the old traditional way. We bought it from a village man, oak branches from 3 inches to 8 inches in diameter. You are allowed here to collect fallen wood in the surrounding forests, and like most of the villagers he goes off with his horse and donkey, packsaddles, rope and a very sharp axe, unlike the other men here he does it as his full time living. He doesn't have a chainsaw, so everything is cut with the axe to one meter lengths, and anything over about 5 inches wide is split into two halves. It is then roped to the packsaddles and bought back the same way as it has been for hundreds of years, he leads the horse and the donkey follows on behind. It would have taken several trips to the forest to get what we have got today. The cost in UK pounds is about 18 quid a cubic. He is very happy with the price and asked if we would buy more from him. We are happy as our stove uses about 3.5 cubic over the winter.

Went

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 09 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome SuzyJ - are you working or retired?

gofarmer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 10 4:56 pm    Post subject: Central Bulgaria Reply with quote

Hi Lilly,

Nice to hear someone tell it like it is, especially about the Brits in Bulgaria. I am constantly getting emails from people asking about Elhovo and Yambol areas and these places are exactly as you described - cheap and cheap for a reason.

Anyway I moved out to Bulgaria in 2006 to near Kazanlak in the valley of the Roses, at the base of the Balkans. I lived there for 3 years and built up a portfolio of property. I worked selling and renovating Bulgarian houses for a couple of years. It was certainly not all plain sailing and faced various difficulties. But I have a lovely home there with a large vegetable plot and each grow all sorts – lettuce, tomatoes, sweet corn, onions, cucumbers and have tried water melons (got to the size of a large marble!) and swedes and so on. There are fruit trees everywhere and I have plum, apple, peach and walnut trees. Every one is self sufficient and pickles everything for winter.

In the winter of 2009 I decided I needed a break and some time out and headed to France for a ski season. Absolutely love France and am just in the process of buying a place here. I intend to spend winters in France and summers in Bulgaria, but need to sell off a few of my Bulgarian houses first.

In the meantime I am working on building up Gofarmer and also do some freelance writing.

I have 3 dogs, all rescued from Bulgaria. I did have 7 dogs and 3 cats at once stage but was a bit mad so rehomed the rest. I support a dog rescue charity in Bulgaria and do what I can to raise funds for them.

Rachel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Downsizing abroad All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive