links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Sea fishing nets, long lines & pots / creels
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 08 3:59 pm    Post subject: Sea fishing nets, long lines & pots / creels Reply with quote

Spured on by our recent gift of some spider crabs I am again looking at getting some sea fishing nets.

Need info on legal mesh sizes & lengths for pleasure boat fishing. One advert seems to imply that 60m is the max lenght. Will prob be using them as bottom nets & floating / submerged nets by changing the weights / rigging. Or poss get a 100m one & cut into two & have one of each. Any advice?

Justme

Last edited by RichardW on Sun Jun 22, 08 11:58 am; edited 2 times in total

crofter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 08 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea about the legality of them, but they will catch everything that swims, including birds, otters maybe even seals. They will also drive you insane taking out crabs and sorting out the tangles. I would advise you to use pots for shellfish and longline/rods for fish.

happytechie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 08 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spider crabs will make a real mess of your net and will take ages to extract. We put my dad's tramall net out last year in what used to be a great spot for bass and all we caught were about 20 - 30 BIG spider crabs. It took us hours to get them all out of the net and then ages more fixing the net. They did taste good though. A string of pots will be much easier if you want to catch spider or red crabs.

RichardW

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 08 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not specificaly after the crabs would prefere fish. Have ordered a net but also set up a long line (put it in the water today so will see in the morning if its worked). Planning on doing the long line most days this week as the tides match my avaliability each day.

Justme

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 08 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you bait and set the long line?

Cathryn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 08 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and where and when and for how long? There are some isolated bits of beach very near me, they wouldn't be in anyone's way.

RichardW

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 08 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonnyboy wrote:
How did you bait and set the long line?

Use fake baits mainly plus some old mackerel out the freezer. Sank one end with a large weight then moved the boat whilst letting the line out, stopped & fixed another weight to the line & chucked that over with the line continuing on to a large marker bouy. Both ends are weighted down but the line is a floating type so the line should be in a nice arc under the water.

Cathryn wrote:
and where and when and for how long? There are some isolated bits of beach very near me, they wouldn't be in anyone's way.

Just off Nefyn beach about 1/2 mile out (kept away from all the marker bouys already set), set it about 7pm & will be checking it at about 8.30am sunday so only 13 hours ish, but then will be checking it each morning tide for the week so a full 24 hours. You can set them at low tide with no boat by wading out (wellies, waders, or paddle). If you can best near a feature like rocks. Once the net arrives will set that to in a different position.

Hope I catch some thing now I have told you all.

Justme

Cathryn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 08 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, nice shallow, rocky, empty beach. I might have go. Thank you.

RichardW

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 08 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure its well marked incase some one does come along.

Justme

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 08 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you get it?

RichardW

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 08 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonnyboy wrote:
Where did you get it?

Made it. Had some 5mm rope left on a big reel I bought ages ago. Spliced a loop each end & then tied drop loops at 6 foot intervals (but dont see myself setting each loop every time). Bought hooks & jellied baits plus some 3 / 4 bait rigs that I cut up & fitted clip links or just tied a loop so that they can be fitted to each drop link. Used an old cast manifold for the weight one end & an off cut of some I beam for the other. With 25L ex dairy cleanser barrels for a bouy's.

You can get them of eBay cheaply too.

Justme

RichardW

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 08 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The justme family will go hungry today as the hunter gatherer failed to hunt or gather anything.

Better luck tommorow I hope.

Justme

Cathryn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 08 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How honest.

Poor little starvelings.

Maybe you will discover it's not in the right place?

RichardW

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 08 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cathryn wrote:
How honest.

Poor little starvelings.

Maybe you will discover it's not in the right place?

Yeh prob. The places I wanted to be near rocks were already taken by a marker bouy. Also only actualy got about 1/4 of the line in as I was feeling a bit yucky (not found my sea legs yet). I thin k the problem is trying to bait up in the bottom of the boat, I can feel the movemnet but not see it. Felt ok when looking out of the boat. Have got the rest of the line in the yard hanging up so I can attach the snoods (thats the hook & a lenght of line) to the long line. Will attach it to the rest tommorow as I dont want to go out on the high tide tonight. Might also try to move it to a better spot too.

Yesterday the water was not to bad but this morning was very choppy. But felt much better today but dint have to spend any time in the bottom of the boat sorting out the rigs. I guess I will get used to it in the end (or keep making my own ground bait ).

Justme

happytechie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 08 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that most of the long lines I've seen have been set about 10 feet from the bottom. They used to long line for dogfish from holyhead and ship all the fish to france. I'm fairly sure they'd bait all of the hooks though, mackerel flappers or just hunks of fish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive