Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Easy, Cider!
Page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 05 3:30 pm    Post subject: Easy, Cider!  Reply with quote    

Following on from the thread on Cheats Cider I thought I'd post up what I'm doing with my first batch and post progress. Some people have expressed an interest in trying this as well so perhaps we can make this into our first Downsizer Challenge?

Equipment:

1 One Gallon Demijohn (sterilised)
1 Bung with an air lock
4 One litre plastic bottles that can cope with pressurised liquid!

Ingredients:

One Gallon of apple juice (I'm using 5 one litre cartons)
Ale yeast (or other yeast, wine yeast may make the cider very dry, bread yeast could be tried)

Method

This is what I intend to do, feel free to add suggestions or try something else!:

1) Sterilise the demijohn. Add 4 litres of apple juice to start and half a teaspoon of yeast. This should give enough room for the initial fermentation. Add a bung with and air lock and leave somewhere warm.

2) After initial rapid fermentation, top up with more apple juice and leave with the bung and air lock to almost work its way out.

3) Bottle and leave somewhere warm to finish fermenting and then leave to settle for a couple of weeks.

4) Then drink!

Notes: Dead rats optional!

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 05 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Well, I've started off a gallon today, apple juice and ale yeast. It only took a couple of mins. I measured the specific gravity and with an SG of 1.045 this should make a cider with an alcohol around 5-6. I'll keep you posted of progress.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 05 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

A few years ago I tried something similar but the batch didnt take- I think because there was a preservative in the juice that killed off the yeast. Did you do anything like aerate the juice or heat it to drive off anything like that- or were you able to get a juice that doesnt have any preservatives in it?? Would like to try this again but got a bit put off last time.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 05 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I would have thought any preservatives should be listed on the juice and there's nothing there. I didn't do anything special but I'll keep an on it and if nothing is hapening after a day or so then I'll start some yeast off in a little sugar and add that.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 05 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Cool! Am going to Lidls tomorrow, you may just have inspired me to pick up a few cartons of cheap juice and have another go

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 05 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Well, give it a couple of days and I'll let you know if we have any action at Dactyl Towers.

Mind you, it is the fishing kit day tomorrow, so I may make my first trip to Lidl.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 05 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Well, when I got up this morning there was definitely some activity in the brew. Not many bubbles but it does seem to be working.

If you try it again Sally I would go for an ale yeast as it could be possible a wine may not start that easily?

Anyone know if you can buy Cider yeasts?

Blacksmith

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 05 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

How is it going ?
Just started off a couple of gallons, if it works, should be a cheap brew.
10 x 1l @ 38p for the apple juice, plus 95p for a champagne yeast (as recomended in CJJB book)
2 gallons of cider for less than a fiver !
Dave

Blue Sky

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 05 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

This is brilliant!!!

I have been looking for ways to re-use my spent ale yeast ... it seems such a waste to chuck it down the drain.

I tried a little experiment similar to this in February but I used Grapefruit juice (pure) rather than apple juice. The demi-johns are still bubbling so I have yet to try the finished product but I will keep everyone posted when I do.

I will try your method with the apple juice next time and see if this works well also.

Baby crying so I will have to go now as my wife is almost in labour with our next!

Happy homebrewing

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 05 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Well, I topped up the demijohn last week as the fermentation was not too vegerous as to need a bit more room. It's bubbling well and even clearing a bit so all's well at the moment. It will be very interesting to see how dry mine is compared to yours Blacksmith, if indeed there's any noticable difference.

Simon, what's the name for fermented Grapefruit juice?

Blue Sky

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 05 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

That's a good question????? I think we may have to make one up!

Blacksmith

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 05 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Syphoned into a poly barrel at the weekend, just tried a drop, fizzy, apple flavored, medium dry, bouquet like an aborigines armpit, this is not a cider for drinking, this is a cider for laying down and avoiding, a little heavy and should only be used for hand to hand combat!
May improve with age ? Anyone else tried a drop of theirs yet ?
Dave

tahir

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 05 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

When's the last time you sniffed an Aborigine's armpit?

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 05 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I tried a drop of mine at the weekend. It's still fermenting, and is going to be sharp but it's also sweet at the moment. I'm getting scents of apples, yeast and a hint of bubblegum. It's kept its colour and is clearing nicely.

Now, do I bottle while it's still fermenting or wait and then prime with a couple of spoons of sugar for a sparkle? I'll be useing old fizzy water bottles.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 05 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Treacodactyl wrote:
I tried a drop of mine at the weekend. It's still fermenting, and is going to be sharp but it's also sweet at the moment. I'm getting scents of apples, yeast and a hint of bubblegum. It's kept its colour and is clearing nicely.

Now, do I bottle while it's still fermenting or wait and then prime with a couple of spoons of sugar for a sparkle? I'll be useing old fizzy water bottles.

Don't know much about these things, but bottling before end of fermentation is very iffy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 1 of 23
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive