Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
What's your favourite vegetarian dish?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 04 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tahir wrote:
wellington womble wrote:
Are you allowed fish - or would that be cheating?

I donn't think there's any way at all that anything with fish in it could be called vegetarian

For this weeks purposes, I will probably eat some fish but i never figured out the logic of that one either

jema

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 04 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's to do with dividing potential food into cuddly and non-cuddly. For many people fish falls into the 'non-cuddly' or 'edible' group of foodstuffs, this seems to lead to them confusing fish with vegetables. I never said it was justifiable or reasonable...

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 04 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying there's something wrong with cuddling fish?

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 04 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's frowned upon in Springfield. Obviously as a wishy washy liberal I believe that provided no fish are harmed it's a matter for the individual's conscience.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 04 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wellington womble wrote:
Are you allowed fish - or would that be cheating?

We've been to restaurant that think ham is ok on a vegetarian pizza.

Gervase wrote:
Usually make them with a chunk of pork belly or chorizo

You've been to the same restaurant as us.

alison wrote:
I am not a huge fan of a plate without some meat on

Now my comments as OH is a vegetarian until we catch our own.

Pasta with various sauces, pizza, vegetable stews with beans, potatoes, leeks etc are very good this time of year, veg curries are good, lentil veg curry very good. Potato pie, tortilla (potato, peppers & onion omelette thingy), chilli-sin-carne and I'm sure Bugs will add a few later.

mrutty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 04 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steak is a veggie, it only has grass put into it and then processed a bit

Er eats a lot of just veggie, I just prefer meat. I don't use a lot, one very small chicken feed five at the weekend.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 04 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbecued mushrooms- fill them with garlic and herb butter, and barbie. Come to think of it you could do them indoors if pushed.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 04 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never understood why some veggies eat fish (or in some cases I have known, bacon!)

There are lots of reasons to cut down on meat - I am always trying to do more fish and veggie stuff, partly because it won't do my jeans or my pocket any harm, and partly because when I get the hang of it, I usually really like them. My cooking relies a lot on meat, and I'm trying to reduce it a bit. I get an organic box delivered once a month and they only do two sizes - the big one is too big for us (meat every day, and some entertaining) but the small one is not quite enough the for amount of meat we eat now.

When I say meat, I really mean red meat, so I don't count ham or fish (or bacon!) but then I'm not veggie.......

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 04 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
Barbecued mushrooms- fill them with garlic and herb butter, and barbie. Come to think of it you could do them indoors if pushed.

I tend to marinade, in olive oil, lemon juice, plenty of black pepper and don't stint of the salt either, skewer and BBQ. Ever so simple, but they go down a storm

I think the big tip on cooking stuff on skewers, is that everything different is best cooked a bit differentlly. So my skewer with mushrooms have only mushrooms.

jema

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 04 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tips

Will probably stick to Indian today, was thinking mushroom bhajis, a potato raita, some breads using the yoghurt I made yesterday, and a red lentil dhal with some spinich. Main reason is that these are the ingredients I have to hand. Will try some of the other suggestion later in the week.

jema

Bugs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 04 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
home made saag with Makki di Roti (a thick chapatti made out of maize flour)

Tahir, have you put a recipe for this up somewhere, or could I ask for one? Especially as I have a bag of maize flour which totally fails to turn in to tortillas every time I try, I'd like to see if I can turn it in to something edible.

Cauliflower cheese with lots of leeks as the base of the cheese sauce, with pasta stirred in; Italian potato pie (from a student cookbook - it's really a rearranged pizza with potato instead of dough); green/brown lentil shepherds pie (mmmm..and one of the few things I don't load with cheese); quiche I must make more often, as I had a recipe that didn't use cream and did it with an olive oil pastry which is a bit less lardy and really nice; red lentil and tomato soup; mushroom gougere but OH finds it a bit rich.

Gervase

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 04 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apropos tagines with pickled lemons, I doscovered lkast year that they're absurdly easy and cheap to prepare - just cut a couple of unwaxed lemons into quarters, bung them in a jamjjar and cover with salt and leave for a couple of weeks. Er, that's it.
They give a lovely sharp lift to any north African food and go particularly well with chickpeas.
On the subject of which, don't touch the ready-made Bart spices harissa paste with a bargepole - it's a travesty of the real thing (I mean, what's bloody beetroot got to do with harissa, yet it's i the ingredients?). Whizz up equal quantities of cumin, carraway seed and paprika in a grinder, add olive oi to make a stiff paste and as much hot chilli powder as your sensitive bits will stand and then mash in some garlic. It keeps for ages in a sealed pot and gives oomph to just about anything

wellington womble

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 04 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fogot quiche - spinach and cream cheese is my favourite, but I like cream cheese and salmon too.

Also, if you're having fish, smoked mackeral and crema/ricotta cheese pate. Mackeral, cheese, black pepper and herbs of choice - whizz! I like recipes like that!

deerstalker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 04 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
Ah, but loads of people describe themselves as veggie but eat fish. Incidentally rabbits were defined as 'not meat' in the middle ages by the church, which meant that they could be eaten on days of obligation.
Cheers, Sean

I'd read that it was only the unborn young of rabbits that could be eaten on days of obligation, as until they were born they weren't considered meat (not to my taste though )

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 04 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbecue, or griddle, longways slices of courgette then add some crumbled feta, and dress with orange juice and olive oil.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive