links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Introducing Pink bouncy.
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 05 4:04 pm    Post subject: Introducing Pink bouncy. Reply with quote

Hi all. I've been very warmly welcomed (thanks for that) so I thought I might tell you all a little about myself.
I'm a wannabe smallholder living on an estate in North east England. I'm a full time mother with three kids and a husband who works in a factory. We keep chickens on our garden and on our allotments where we also grow vegetables. This year we're planning ducks, geese and turkeys too.
We would love to be able to buy a smallholding and move to the country but finances aren't great so we do what we can with the resources we have. I'm surprised how much we can do even in an urban environment.
I'm lucky because I enjoy cooking so making my own food has become a hobby gone mad. Ham, bacon and sausages are the latest things but bread and jams, pies, cakes and yoghurts have been served here for ages.
I also make soaps and bath products like bath bombs, bath salts and milk bath. Solid shampoos are the newest thing I've tried. I knit too but I'm still very much a learner having only made a few pairs of socks.
Farmwoody pointed me in the direction of this site, I was a member of her quilting bee on the upperwood farm forum. She's a great teacher, I didn't have a clue when I started but now I have a king sized patchwork quilt on my bed.
Anyway, that's me. I'll be sticking around for a while I think, I like it here.

tahir

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 05 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing Pink bouncy. Reply with quote

pink bouncy wrote:
I like it here.

I'm not sure I do

Welcome on board.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 05 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the "only made a few pairs of socks" bit? That's guru status in my book.
Looks as though you should find plenty to join in on.

Gertie

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 05 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 05 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what do you do in your spare time then Mrs Bouncy? Hope you enjoy it here.

nettie

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 05 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing Pink bouncy. Reply with quote

pink bouncy wrote:

Anyway, that's me. I'll be sticking around for a while I think, I like it here.

Very glad to hear it! I reckon a few of us will be picking your brains from time to time

wellington womble

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 05 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing Pink bouncy. Reply with quote

pink bouncy wrote:
I knit too but I'm still very much a learner having only made a few pairs of socks.

That's expert status in my book - I can't do purl yet! Any chance of more info on the solid shampoo? That does sound interesting!

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 05 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome indeed. I'm also a fairly new member but have found so many kindred wossnames here. Also a soapmaker, so always happy to talk bubbles

pink bouncy

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 05 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making solid shampoo is much the same as making any other CP soap apart from the oils used. I usually make soap with lard as the major ingredient but it's no good at all in solid shampoo. Castor oil seems to be the 'must have' oil in shampoo bars and I use a bit of coconut oil, olive and sunflower oils and use the castor oil to superfat the batch at the end.

Daydreaming

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 05 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm intrigued. How do you make soap?

pink bouncy

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 05 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people buy ready made soap blocks to melt down and add their own colours/fragrances to. That's known as melt and pour soapmaking. I do what's known as cold process soapmaking. It's the old fashioned way, adding lye to fat and actually causing it to become something completely different - soap.
Although you do need to be very carefull when you're using lye (AKA sodium hydroxide) to ensure you don't end up with alkali burns, using a few simple precautions like rubber gloves, it is great fun to make. I started with my first batch last November and now I'm making soap every week.
If you're really interested, I could probably post a recipe and some simple instructions?

Bernie66

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 05 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it for my sake please even if you don't do it for Daydreaming tho i am sure she will want to see it

Bugs

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 05 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Daydreaming and Bernie, Sally_in_Wales gave us instructions for Castile soap on https://forum.downsizer.net/about3343.html (I'm supposed to have put it up as an article too ).

Pink Bouncy (can we call you Bouncy for short ) it would be really good if you could give some more details, especially on the mixture you use for the shampoo bars.

Bernie66

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 05 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew somebody had,Did just search for that before, couldn't remember the "castile" bit at all so waded through lots of posts with no joy. cheers

Daydreaming

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 05 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm especially interested because my daughter has eczema - I blame Johnson and Johnson. Anyway, I don't use any soap on her atall, but I would like to see if it would be possible to make some nice, sensive soap. Most dermatological soap is fragrance free - so not very inspiring.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive