Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Cost of re-felting a flat roof
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 09 4:08 pm    Post subject: Cost of re-felting a flat roof Reply with quote

I am in the process of getting quotes for the re-felting of a 14 metre squared flat roof - is there such a thing as an approximate cost figure per metre squared that would give me a vague idea if I am being ripped off - it seems almost impossible to find anyone who will give me an insurance backed quote but the first quote has come in and seems high to me

Anyone any thoughts?

vegplot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 09 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say between £50 sand £60 per square metre ie. £700-£640. This should come with a 10-15 year guarantee.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 09 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooh interesting

We have a roof that is close to end of life, so any info on flat roofs would be appreciated.

vegplot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 09 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd advise not to go for a flat roof it all possible, they are expensive beasts to maintain.

stumbling goat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 09 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have heard of one piece moulded resin roof coverings, they cost twice as much as felt, but last years longer.

i would always opt for tiles or slates, looks better and lasts longer.

felting a roof is not difficult, a capable handyperson could do it in a day. why not check mout the prices of felt at your local b n q or wickes or similar, add the price of a gallon of bituminous coating and some tacks and you will see the material costs. add double that for labour, roughly 2/3 of any quote will be labour.

good luck with it

a0

bernie-woman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 09 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegplot wrote:
I'd advise not to go for a flat roof it all possible, they are expensive beasts to maintain.

Haven't much choice in that dept - we are a link detached house and have a felted car port/ garage roof and we have no way of it being not flat - I have had a very expensive quote for a fibre glass solid roof which if we were going to stay in the property we would seriously consider - they are guaranteed for at least 30 years but we were quoted £1300.00 + VAT for that

We have had one quote for £929.00 plus VAT and we have 3 more quotes coming in tomorrow so will update

Behemoth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 09 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One builder I've been talking to swears by some new fiber glass resin. Bonds to be a sngle sheet, no cracks and doesn't degrade in the sun. He reckons 25 year lifespan. Have notihng more than his word for it yet. He also claims it's 'about' the same price as a proper felt job.

Search for GRP Roofing on google.

bernie-woman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 09 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Behemoth - will have a search - only one of the 3 companies turned up on Saturday to give us a quote - credit crunch!, what credit crunch - still waiting on his quote - hope it turns up today

bernie-woman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 09 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other quote has just come in the post and is £575 inc VAT and has a guarantee for 20 years and is insurance backed as opposed to £929.06 + VAT, both quotes are for identical work - hmmmm that is some difference

Bernie66

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 09 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the credit cruch is bringing prices down

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 09 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My OH has fibre glassed all the flat roofs here on the house, and the tree house.

If you want any details I am sure I can tell you how. He has building experience, but reall it is just following the process and moving fairly quickly, as well as having someone to shout out to to apass things.

robin wood

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 09 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have what sounds like a similar situation linked semi our flat roof is about 18sqm and it needs to tuck in under the sloping tiled roof one side and then roll up and over a parapet thingy the other side. Quotes started at £1600 plus Vat and we settled at just under £1000 including for a three layer system with guarantee.

Nick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 09 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friend does this for a living. Just spoken to him. He reckons around 40-45 quid a square metre for flat, uninsulated roofing. More than this if it needs insulating, and more if you want an insurance backed warranty. HTH.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 09 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flats horrid to own fine to mend
hot asphalt works long term ,maybe 100 quid a metre with the fancy bits
build a pitched roof over the flat one is cheap and simple
flat roofs are bread and butter to trade

stumbling goat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 09 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doing it yourself is fairly simple.

the diy stores such as wickes display "How to do" leaflets in their stores. the tricky bit is the edges and upstands etc, but if you take your time, how difficult can it be?

why not have a downsizer flat roofing weekend.

6t

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive