Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Farm for the Future

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 09 11:49 am    Post subject: Farm for the Future Reply with quote

I don't know when this was shown on the BBC but I've just watched it on the Pledging for Change website

Wildlife film maker Rebecca Hosking investigates how to transform her family's farm in Devon into a low energy farm for the future, and discovers that nature holds the key. With her father close to retirement, Rebecca returns to her family's wildlife-friendly farm in Devon, to become the next generation to farm the land. But last year's high fuel prices were a wake-up call for Rebecca. Realising that all food production in the UK is completely dependent on abundant cheap fossil fuel, particularly oil, she sets out to discover just how secure this oil supply is. Alarmed by the answers, she explores ways of farming without using fossil fuel. With the help of pioneering farmers and growers, Rebecca learns that it is actually nature that holds the key to farming in a low-energy future

https://tinyurl.com/dmuupm - Utterly brilliant film realistic but uplifting at the same time.

mbeirnes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 09 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good
I have emailed it to home to watch tonight
Cheers Jo

AnneandMike

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 09 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most intelligent programme I've seen for ages!

Mrs R

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 09 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i very much enjoyed it - long been aware of the saying about modern farming 'turning oil into food' but with the breakdown on the sandwich really makes you think.

everyone laughs at my oxen and previously i did agree that they are a bit of a relic of a bygone era..... but now I think they may be the john deeres of the future after all!

Mithril

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 12 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only just come across this - watched it on YouTube.

Fabulous program. I've shared it twice on FB hoping people will watch (probably in vain). I just don't think that many people consider or even realise that things can't continue as they are. I think this program gets the message across, but not in such a full on way as to get people's backs up.

Here's the YouTube link: https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=ixx1c3RSw_8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dixx1c3RSw_8&gl=GB

LynneA

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 12 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this. Would love to see a more in depth version, maybe a book. There os so much we need to re-learn.

Mithril

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 12 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LynneA wrote:
I love this. Would love to see a more in depth version, maybe a book. There os so much we need to re-learn.

Yes, I'd like to see that too.

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 12 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think the Victorian/Edwardian/Wartime farm trio could be persuaded? After all, where else can they go now but the future?

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 12 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthernMonkeyGirl wrote:
Do you think the Victorian/Edwardian/Wartime farm trio could be persuaded? After all, where else can they go now but the future?

That would be a great series for them to do wouldn't it. After Oil Farm?

Azura Skye

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 12 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I shared this in our transition town meetings. It went down really well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive