Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Geese Behaviour

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 09 7:41 pm    Post subject: Geese Behaviour Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new to keeping geese and have recently acquired two young geese. (goslings) I have searched everywhere to try to find out info on young geese behaviour and cannot find anything. Everything talks about housing, feeding, care, etc but nothing out there on peoples experiences of their growing geese. The only thing I can find is info when the breeding season starts.

In my case I am trying to ascertain whether the geese are happy with me or displaying aggression. They were subdued the first couple of days when they arrived and now seem generally relaxed and are feeding well, etc. When I enter the pen they come rushing over talking (as I call it) and follow me wherever I go. They sort of fly over to me. More lately they have been trying to get up very close to my legs and one sometimes checks my trousers out. Now this is where I need help, is this a sign of of them getting funny with me or are they just checking me out? I handle them and pick them up etc and they don't bite.

I'm sorry if this sounds noddy but I've kept chickens before but never geese so they are really new to me so any behaviour experiences would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

SandraR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 09 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like perfectly happy gosling behaviour to me. As long as you continue to handle them and put them in their place if they start to get a little too friendly. i.e if they start to peck a little too hard or continue when you have had enough just gently but firmly push them away.

They sound lovely enjoy.

pookie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 09 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep! what GSHP said

TheGrange

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 09 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We’ve had goslings on and off for years until they become geese and then they become dinner.

goslings follow you around its normal, when they get older they will either be happy to follow you or they won't - I find them a bit like cats in that regard IME - some we've had followed us all over even when fully grown - others were happy to follow the routine going out into the fields via the gate and then when we shouted them back in late evening returning - sometimes they were more than happy to honk and hiss at us just because we'd foolishly decided to wander into the garden beside the field!

Geese don't tend to be nasty, but they can give you a nasty nip and a whack with a wing hurts, if they're provoked.

alice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 09 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start saving-up because after a decent interval you have to buy a microlite and lead them all south for the winter.
Honest.

nettie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 09 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, geese can be nasty in numbers, but it tends to be only at certain times of year.

Mind you I haven't raised them from goslings, just looked after someone else's great (mixed m & f) thugs

I find it helps enormously if you can hiss and raise your "wings" and step towards them if they pi$$ you off too much. They get it, and flee. (I have seen someone shrieking amidst a large flock and trying to hit them with a handbag. They don't understand handbags, and I could almost hear them laughing while they grabbed huge mouthfuls of denim).

Have fun!!

goosey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 09 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Claire, wecome to the forum

What breed are they (or what do they look like?)

What is their destiny- dinner this winter, or residents / breeders?

Are you feeding them anything from a scoop or your hand, because if so, they will be evermore after you whenever you appear, and demand some!

Goslings without their parents isn't normal for them. They would never bother about humans. After 22 years keeping and breeding Emdens, I have never had geese who enjoy a cuddle.
We are mammals, and think they must do.
I had to rear one by hand after he was stuck at hatching and rejected. He needed warmth etc, and I carried him about in a hat, and was with him 24/7 until he fledged.
Now he is the fiercesomest gander on the place, with no fear of people, having been in the house, drunk out of the dogs' bowl and
sat on my lap etc.
It is his bravery and spunk which I love about him. He does know me, and knows his name and 'corn' and 'splash'. He will go for me in Spring tho.
Contrary to expectations, he overcame rejection by the flock, and managed to woo a mate, and has three in his set. He is not so good at parenting as the other ganders.

ClaireW

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 09 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the replies. I now feel I understand more at what stage they are at the moment and realise things might change.

Thanks too goosey for the advice, I have been careful not to feed them from our hands as I thought they may see them as always a source of food. I put any food in their bowl which they now know as theirs, although the chickens think otherwise! I think the one is an Emden and the other a cross Emden/Breacon Buff. The cross seems the more talkative one and is the one thats more on my case. The other one seems more placid. Perhaps I have a goose and gander?!

I have always wanted geese and have heard horror stories but this didn't put me off and I thought if they had good human contact and were handled this would 'condition' them to us. I also get my eldest son to feed them so they are used to someone else doing it too. The kids also play by them so they are used to them and the sounds they make. The only thing that saddens me is that looking at the posts that this 'handling'may not make them as friendly as I would have liked.

Today when the cross got too close and nibbled the bottom of my trousers I followed the advice and did the outstretched goose head action with my hand and he/she backed off but stayed very near. This was at least good for me to be able to show dominance as I didn't like the idea of pushing them away as I am very vary this might cause agitation.

We have no plans to eat them, more to utilise their grass mowing abilities and have them as pets. Once I know their sexes we might breed but its not essential.

goosey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 09 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds as though you are getting along well, they are great when you get to know them.
I also do what nettie said, to stand up to them. If you turn and walk, (or run!) away, they will chase you. Better to face them.
There is another noise you could try, as well as the well-known hissss of agression, there is a lower toned haaaah which means 'come here'. it is useful e.g. getting them past a scary object. Put your closed hand down near the ground where you want them to go, at the same time.
If they breed, one difference from chicken behaviour, is the ganders'. As you know, they defend their territory in Spring. Start mating around midwinter day, first egg around mid Feb. Ganders very interested in the nest, and very brave. But what gets me is it is them that are the main carers of the goslings. They are so tender and attentive, aware of the sightest peep of alarm, wonderful parents. The goose is pale, tatty, and worn out for a few days, but the gander will take the brood for their first swim on the pond, gently touching them with his beak. And he will be fierce in protecting them.
As you can tell, I'm hooked! Good luck

Mrs Baggins

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 09 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Claire

I am new to geese too and just got my first 3 goslings ever a couple of months ago - so this thread has been really interesting to read for me too!

They are happier to follow me about than they are anyone else. They loathe the kids. Esp my son. They get all flappy and aggressive if the kids even look at them. They have claimed the place as their own and once duffed up my 16 yo cat once for walking on the grass.

They do make aggressive posturing towards me sometimes and they have nipped my legs before but I don't let them away with it and they back off quick enough.

Makes them sound like thugs but I really like them! They have character! Enjoy them!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive