Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
What other names might "soft cotton" fabric go by?
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 09 4:03 pm    Post subject: What other names might "soft cotton" fabric go by? Reply with quote

I am in possession of this pattern: https://www.habithat.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/9096 - I was tempted by the "it's so easy" in the title.

I'd like to make it in a natural material and not wind up spending more on the fabric than I would on an entire outfit from a shop..esp as it'll be my first go at clothesmaking and I'll probably make a hash of it.

And - I'll probably have to buy the fabric mail order too. So, do the experts here think something like this would work?

https://www.remnanthouse.co.uk/index.php?category=cotton
(the first one on the page, cotton lawn)

I assume the "craft cotton" on here:
https://www.remnanthouse.co.uk/index.php?page=8&category=cotton

Would be too stiff?

Any better ideas (for fabric names, or sources - or somewhere good to go in the south east, although I am a bit scared of that London)? Or have I chosen a stupid pattern considering what I'm looking for?

Thankses in advances!

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 09 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some cotton lawn can be quite crisp, voile would be better but it'll be a bit translucent. A viscose jersey would be ideal for this.

TheGrange

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 09 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had somethign very similar to that in a cheese cloth - i doubt they call it that now .. it was very light and soft.

Its a lovely pattern whatever ou end up making it out of

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 09 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGrange wrote:
i had somethign very similar to that in a cheese cloth - i doubt they call it that now

That's an idea, it's called cotton crepe nowadays

judith

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 09 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
A viscose jersey would be ideal for this.

Not sure I'd go for jersey on my first attempt at dressmaking. Too stretchy and generally troublesome.
Craft cotton would probably be a bit stiff, but any of the light cotton dressmaking fabrics would probably do. Do you want it to be very drapey (is that a word?) or have a bit more body to it?

Nell Merionwen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 09 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poly cotton?
it's a polyester/cotton mix. has a more floaty drape than 100% cotton. and is usually cheaper

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 09 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

judith wrote:
Not sure I'd go for jersey on my first attempt at dressmaking. Too stretchy and generally troublesome.
Craft cotton would probably be a bit stiff, but any of the light cotton dressmaking fabrics would probably do. Do you want it to be very drapey (is that a word?) or have a bit more body to it?

It would be a little trickier (only marginally I reckon though). Drapey better be a word, we use it all the time.

lily

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 09 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a lightweight linen. Fairly easy to handle and reasonably priced on ebay.

Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 09 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks The Grange...I am sure I will be a good challenge to the virtues of the pattern as both maker and model

Judith/Tahir - I think jersey might be difficult for me too, although I think it need to be fairly drapey, hoping to achieve a loose summer top to wear over t-shirts so even a thin fabric would be OK in terms of not frightening the locals.

Helen M, my better half is now wondering whether an old bedsheet would be effective as a first go ... worse, I am half agreeing.

I always thought cheesecloth was something quite different but looking up cotton crepe (and avoiding all the results for bandages) that does look like a possible, need to track down somewhere that does it by the metre though. So that's cotton crepe, poly cotton for cheapness and colour choice (or finest bed sheet), or cottons for dressmaking but not lawn. I assume muslin would be a bit ambitious..you can get it in black...mmm summery

Lily I would definitely like linen, would it not be a little stiff? I'll investigate ebay though (I'm afraid of ebay too).

Has anyone bought much fabric mail order? Would that be better in a separate thread I wonder.

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 09 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is any of it on the bias? Lightweight linen should be soft enough, sometimes it's starched so softens up after washing.

TheGrange

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 09 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought leatherette for recovering the panels in the horse trailer recently off ebay i bought a roll end simply because i needed a large amount.

It was delivered very quickly and the chap was really helpful as i did mess him about a bit as he sold/listed his items by the metre and i wanted to know how much he had and did he do roll ends and he was very accommodating and pleasant.

It was 52 ½” wide and 30 metres long but it cost me less than 45p per metre (it was listed for more he was quite happy to rid the role end in that particular colour he said as it was a slow seller) and £15 delivery. Hope that helps

Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 09 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
Is any of it on the bias? Lightweight linen should be soft enough, sometimes it's starched so softens up after washing.

Ooh. Now I've had to take the pattern out of the envelope. I think - the front and back are on the bias and all the rest are with the grain. Assuming that's what the line with the arrows on means. Does that sound convincing? Linen would be excellent (I might even learn to use the iron in the process).

Nell Merionwen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 09 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
tahir wrote:

Ooh. Now I've had to take the pattern out of the envelope. I think - the front and back are on the bias and all the rest are with the grain. Assuming that's what the line with the arrows on means. Does that sound convincing? Linen would be excellent (I might even learn to use the iron in the process).

spounds right, i am surprised that the sleeves are not on the bias given the picture on the pattern

Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 09 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGrange wrote:
i bought leatherette for recovering the panels in the horse trailer recently off ebay...It was delivered very quickly and the chap was really helpful ... Hope that helps

Thanks! It does - I should really get over myself, I suppose it is a good way for lots of small shops to trade. I have seen some nice pale green linen on there after Lily's suggestion too.

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 09 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:

Perfick. I expected the body to be on the bias, this adds a whole different dimension of drape to any fabric.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive