links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
dewberrys?

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 05 9:20 pm    Post subject: dewberrys? Reply with quote

after reading cab's excellent june foraging article i had a look at all the photo links. this link in particular got my attention

https://www.natuureducatie.nl/gallery/rubus_caes_1.jpg

the reason being is that right before we left glasgow i found several bushes with berries that looked just like that. i thought they were some sort of blueberry variant but i was confused by how and where they were planted.

blueberries prefer boggy acidic soil and this was on the grounds of an extremely well kempt complex of flats. we used to cut through the garden walkway on our way to the supermarket. the grounds were meticulously kept and were obviously done by an expert with no boggy bits in sight. so you can understand why i might be confused

i never did take any home for futher inspection/research but the berries looked EXACTLY like those in the photo for the link above... i can't remember what the leaves were like...

anyway, does anyone have any ideas of what they might have been? the birds did seem to eat them which furthered my belief that they were indeed edible, however, i simply can't figure out why a professional gardener would be doing planting them out amongst the roses etc

tahir

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 05 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno, makes sense to me, if I had acid soil they'd be in what's left of my flower beds, they have nice foluiage with good autumn colour, nice flowers and the berry look quite good too...

cab

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 05 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised if someone had planted dewberries there. It's less popular over here than it is in the states, but for sure they're planted as a 'ground cover' plant; the flowers and ten the berries are rather attractive, and it's a sweet little sprawling thing, rather than the thug of a plant that blackberry is.

judith

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 05 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the same topic, has anyone ever tried growing bilberries? Do they grow from seed or would cuttings be better?

cab

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 05 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got some seeds to plant, I've never grown bilberries before, but I'm going to give it a bash.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive