About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
blackberries
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 20 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pruned part of our bramble really hard last winter. I have been trying to get husband to help me get a frame up so that I can train some of the best roots, but we have had the post sockets for at least 2 years now, and no joy. I suppose I could go and get some postcrete myself and do it all, but as he is talking of getting son to help, I might find it rather too heavy work on my own. At least I can now get into the tangle and have two discrete bushes to pick from.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 20 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have had plenty of blackberries off the ones that are going on my part of the allotment. Big and very sweet. They do get the sun all day though.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 20 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They may be a cultivated variety, or may have been once.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 20 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could well be MR as there are 2 different types.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 20 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went blackberrying in the woods yesterday and got a good punnet full. Had some with cream yesterday evening and will use some more for a crumble with some apple this evening. Any over go into the freezer along with any more I can get in the garden. They are coming along again now as the weather has improved a bit.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 20 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the last kilo or so need picking very soon
good crop, long season although cold and wet did not help last month

im not sure what the total wt might be but better than last year in amount and quality were far better

a lot eaten and frozen, plenty for 5 gallons of strong wine of some sort, most are fermenting on the pulp and the last pick will go in when i crop it

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 20 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't bother weighing mine. I have made a couple of gallons of wine and some jam from the stuff from last year. This years crop have given us plenty to eat with cream or ice cream and a good number of crumbles, with or without apple, and I have a lot frozen, so plenty in store again.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 20 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we had a lot of grade 1+ at the start of the season

most of the crop has been G1 and G2+

a good year for quality and quantity, the former i suspect weather , the latter pruning for fruit and a bloom boost feed at the right time.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 20 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have lots of green ones still on the bush, which I'm hoping will turn, as they look pretty good, especially for more blackberry crumble, with double cream. MMmmmmmmmm.

gz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 20 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked another couple of marg. boxes of blackberries yesterday, and elderberries too. It was good to catch a sunny day, and there is a fair amount not quite ripe, but much is spoiling on the bramble with all the wet weather.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 20 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we lost a lot over the last week or two with the wet. Good thing is the seeds will drop and then the mice will have them for winter stores. Downside is we don't get the blackberries and the uneaten ones will end up as seedlings. I think there are enough blackberries in my world without more.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 20 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some of mine always belong to the birds and mice

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 23 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to get a handful of wild raspberries from the woods yesterday, and that was just along a short bit of track near our 'yard'. I have blackberries starting in the garden, so had bought strawberries (fairly local), blackberries and raspberries with cream yesterday evening.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 23 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackberries are just starting to ripen up this way. It will be interesting to see what sort of harvest there will be this year.

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 23 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lots of ripe ones here - am mostly leaving for the birds - will pick just enough for blackberry and apple crumbles through the year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive