About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Out this afternoon
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 09 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems like there are indeed 2 wildfoodies, I'm the one with no number (somewhat obviously!) I wouldn't ever call myself a 'shroom expert, but I surprised myself this year by co-leading a group in Suffolk, and realised I knew a lot more than I thought I did. New strategy is to say I have knowledge of edible mushrooms - I know a good few of those by sight and smell and I leave the rest well alone.

I used to hang out here quite a bit... but have been busy this year with veg growing and helping to develop a community veg growing project with Transition Cambridge, so foraging has been mostly a solitary, quality me-time pursuit and I haven't been inspired to talk about it much.

Bubbletwinkler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 09 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildfoodie wrote:
C. geotropa generally has taller slightly more slender stems than L giganteus, with a prominent umbo in the bottom of the funnel. Even the most mature specimens tend to have this- a bit like an 'outie' belly button! the other way of telling is on young specimens, C geotropas are pointy while L giganteus are flat. Agree with Bubble - geotropa v common. where did you find out about the anticancer/ antibiotic properties Bubbletwinkler?

I was just doing a Google search for general info on both mushrooms and came across it.

cab

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 09 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you here Wildfoodie

It ain't easy to distinguish the two species from a pic online. As I said, my first thought was also L. giganteus.

Anyway, what are these transition Cambridge bods like?

wildfoodie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 09 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyway, what are these transition Cambridge bods like?

I'm really enjoying the food group crowd - we have strong and active core with loads of drive and enthusiasm: check it out https://www.transitioncambridge.org/thewiki/ttwiki/pmwiki.php?n=TTFood.HomePage

I've heard whisper that some of the good burgers of Cambridge think Transitioners are a bunch of hippy, head in the cloud do gooders - can't say that's my experience of them ( many are close and good friends) but I do see how the huggy, touchy-feely vibe can come across like that to some people.
Transition is really about getting people to engage with planet friendly change in a positive and proactive way, and building strong communities to make sure it lasts. No better way to do that than through food!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive