Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Dishwashers - do you have one?
Page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 09 6:33 pm    Post subject: Dishwashers - do you have one? Reply with quote

Further to a comment on another thread, do you use a dishwasher?

chez

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 09 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. It came with the rental house and is just the right size and position to be really, really useful. We had one at our previous house and it was waaaay too big and had a hugely long wash-cycle. The one here seems much quicker and more effective as well as being smaller.

To start with I had a lot of guilt about it, but I've managed to assuage that mostly, now!

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 09 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we find it, for us, the most efficient way of washing up, and chose the machine carefully to try to get one that was as economic with water and electricity as we could manage at that time. I'm sure when it needs replacing there will be even more efficient versions available.

Most of all though, having a Chaos Chef in residence, the key to domestic harmony is definately not fighting over the washing up.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 09 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do. It's AAA rated and we use it at a low temp when it's properly full. Seems perfectly acceptable to me.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 09 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was generally accepted dish washers use less water and more energy than hand washing, on average?

We have one, from when we both worked long hours. When it breaks down I don't think we'll replace it though, especially if we end up heating water via solar or our own wood.

Marionb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 09 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do.... always said I wouldnt be without it, used it for all the washing up, but since my separation, theres only me and my son here and he's not around much, so it doesnt get used now. My sister has a half-sized one, I'm wondering if maybe I should get one of those but it wouldn't fit into the gap very tidily tho...

judith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 09 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't - never have.
Washing-up isn't a job that stresses me particularly as I tend to keep on top of it. And if I cook for large numbers, then the washing-up is normally done for me.
I can understand why people do have them though.

For me, an automatic dusting machine would make a greater contribution to my personal happiness.

Mary-Jane

Location: The Fishing Strumpet is from Ceredigion in West Wales
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 09 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We haven't - but I would like one.

gz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 09 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see reply on other thread
I COULD live without it- but when I had to ( between dishwashers) the electric bill went up (water heating) I had less time ( important with a business) the skin on my hands dried out whatever I did, and my hands hurt- not good if you work with them

frewen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 09 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I can afford one I will get the most efficient one I can. I end up washing up two or three times a day, which can't be that good on the energy consumption front?

sal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 09 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't use one as there are just two of us and I can't justify one environmentally.

When considering pros and cons you do have to think about the manufacture of the dishwasher and its impact on the environment, not just the efficiency of the wash cycle - the whole cradle to grave process.

gz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 09 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and support your local potter by having enough pots so that you can keep going until the dishwasher is full

BethinPA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 09 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had one (in various apartments and houses) for years, but didn't use it when it was just the two of us. There are four of us now, and we run it when it's full, don't use the "dry" function. I hand-wash pots and knives and things, but mostly because I think it's better for them and I don't think they'd get as clean in the d/w.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 09 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sal wrote:
When considering pros and cons you do have to think about the manufacture of the dishwasher and its impact on the environment, not just the efficiency of the wash cycle - the whole cradle to grave process.

Indeed, and the rest of your lifestyle. A dishwasher might mean people are more likely to grow and cook their own food for example, by giving them more time.

Silas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 09 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that I am really surprised. I always thought that the dishwasher was the most indulgent and useless article that a kitchen could have apart from it being an environmental disaster. I can't quite get my head around the fact that so many downsizers have one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 1 of 20
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive