About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
beach fishing
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 10 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are fishing from a beach a 12 ft rod and fixed spool reel would be ideal, 15 to 20lb mainline plus a shockleader of 50lb (this is a length of heavier line about twice the length of your rod to allow you to cast without snapping your line.) You can buy traces already made up from your tackle shop, two or three hook flapper rigs allow you to try a few different baits with each cast. You will need some 2, 4, 6oz weights with wire grips to hold your tackle in the tide and some bait elastic to hold your bait on. Bait is best as fresh as possible, lugworms, ragworms, sandeels, peeler crabs or mackerel but all are available frozen in tackle shops. The ability to cast long distances is very handy but casting short into the surf picks up Bass and many other species, piers and harbour walls enable you to get into fishy areas a bit more easily. If you fish at night, which I find is best, a good head torch and lamp plus warm clothes is a must. You need to watch the tides and fishing a rising tide is usually best but an ebbing tide is sometimes just as productive.
This site https://www.gofishing.co.uk/Sea-Angler/ seems to have plenty of info on techniques and gear, I dont have any local info for you as I live in Ireland but if you are ever down in Cork I will show you a few beaches to fish.

gardening-girl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 10 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you fish at WSM and Brean?Down the coast from Bournemouth would be good, towards WestBay/West Bexington.

SmattyB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 10 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I used to fish Bristol Channel regularly for many years. It does need long rods, distance casting and grip leads because of the speed of the tide. I would not recommend the area to start out. The beaches can also be very dangerous, again because of the tide & mud.

Bournemouth area would be a much better starting point. Lots of structure to fish from, piers jetties etc. If you add a reasonable sea spinning rod to your boat rod, you can have lots of fun (and some good dinners too). Once you have got the hang of the style, you could move onto full beachcasting which will start to cost a bit more money. A really good source of information is WSF.

https://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/

The forums give you a good idea of what is being caught when and which baits are working best. You might even find someone in your area that is willing to go fishing with you to give some pointers, as has been said before, local knowledge is best. Once you start though, you won't be able to stop, it's quite addictive

misty07

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 10 1:51 pm    Post subject: so Reply with quote

so what kind of fish could be cought off the beach? what would be mostly cought?

pricey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 10 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to b'mth I will take you out and show you some good spots

misty07

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 10 8:47 pm    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

cool when i get back on the road and get some money together il pop down clutch went on the car xmas eve and being unemployed and them not paying because partner gets £25 to much i dont get no money at all so when i have sorted il give ya a shout

misty07

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 10 9:43 pm    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/fishing/equipment/rods/pier-beach

would these be any good?

zigs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 10 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi daddymatty82,

Have a look at this little thread i've got going on anglers net

https://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Mackerel-fishing-t73303.html

The forums have lots of usefull stuff you might like too, have a look around.

You will need a shock leader for casting, to take the strain of the lead. This is just a stronger bit of line tied to the end of the main line. 10lb of breaking strain for every 1oz of lead used. so 5oz weight needs 50lb shock leader. tackle shop will help you if you ask them. Good luck.

misty07

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 10 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im going to brean sands in june and im wanting to try something when im away as it will be on my doorstep for a week and want to do as much as poss while i got the chance with the minimal spent

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive