links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Ground Cover
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 10 8:32 pm    Post subject: Ground Cover  Reply with quote    

we fancy something to have growing/dangling over the edge of the sandstone border walls, presently there are a few plants mostly seedums or campanulas. The area is bright has the sun rising behind and gets full sun around midday and then is in sun till it sets.

Campanulas are great as they spread quickly and surpress all the weeds they come into contact with, but are a little much of a muchness, so ideally would like something on those lines but an alternative and I can't think of anything atm

Flowering would be a must, otherwise interesting foliage, and fast spreading, little care and ease of propagation would also be good elements.

any suggestions?
Cheers

yummersetter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 10 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Snow-in-summer, (cerastium tomentosum) is so traditional round here on sandstone walls, you'd think it was compulsory. Beautiful silver leaves with white flowers. And aubretia and valerian are everywhere in the villages round us.

SandraR

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 10 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

vinca/perwinkle. Various coloured flowers -blue/purple/white some with verigated leaves. Mine seem to grow in any condition, location.

Herbs - thyme?

Cathryn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 10 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I second the thyme, those with silvery edged leaves are lovely. How about Helianthum, rock rose?

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 10 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Lewisia, house leeks, gentians, androsace, silene, saxifrages, aubretia, viola, iberis, alpine strawberries, dianthus, geranium cinerium, saponaria, sedums, to name but a few.

T.G

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 10 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Tavascarow wrote:
Lewisia, house leeks, gentians, androsace, silene, saxifrages, aubretia, viola, iberis, alpine strawberries, dianthus, geranium cinerium, saponaria, sedums, to name but a few.

you've just got giddy there!

otatop

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 10 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I'm about to try comfrey between and underneath the currants and gooseberries in my borders - hopefully to deter cat fouling. I've got a bucket with a lid, so I hope to crop it (the comfrey - not the cat poo) to make plant food.
Well, I thought it might work - I'd be interested if anyone had any thoughts or advice for the desparate!

Nell Merionwen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 10 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

otatop wrote:
I'm about to try comfrey between and underneath the currants and gooseberries in my borders - hopefully to deter cat fouling. I've got a bucket with a lid, so I hope to crop it (the comfrey - not the cat poo) to make plant food.
Well, I thought it might work - I'd be interested if anyone had any thoughts or advice for the desparate!

Is this normal common comfrey? Are you aware oh how it spreads and how big it gets? Perhaps I'm being a bit dense but i would have though it was far too big a plan for underplanting

hardworkinghippy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 10 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I agree with Nell - be careful. Also Comfrey needs loads of nitrogen and will compete with your blackcurrants so unless you've got loads of chicken poo...

Deadnettle (Lamiastrum Shell Pink)is beautiful, flowers a few times and self seeds. Parsley is nice next to it and Aquilegia too.

Ivy is good for smoothing over things and you can grow things through it.

Parsley, chives and the yellowy green plant in the background is Euphorbia cyparissias (Clarice Howard) - very invasive but fast and really glorious all spring and summer

Broad leaved sage is very handsome and you can use it in cooking

MrsWW

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 10 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

How about lawn Chamomile? Don't know if it flowers but it would certainly smell nice when brushed against.

otatop

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 10 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I've had a patch of comfrey in another part of the garden and the bees seem to like it. I just control it by pulling up clumps at the end of the summer and composting it. Edible herbs are not an option because of the cat fouling, but you've planted seeds of doubt now re competition for nutrients. Chicken poo is preferable to cat poo though!

T.G

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 10 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Nell wrote:
Are you aware oh how it spreads and how big it gets?

you just need an emily treacle

otatop

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 10 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

The.Grange wrote:
Nell wrote:

????? I have to ask. What's this???

T.G

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 10 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

otatop wrote:
The.Grange wrote:
Nell wrote:

????? I have to ask. What's this???

a single bloodhound demolition squad

otatop

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 10 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Oh well - and I always knew that labradors are woosies. Food, sex, and swimming - in about that order.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive