Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Climbing equipment (NOT) wanted

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 10 8:48 pm    Post subject: Climbing equipment (NOT) wanted Reply with quote

I am looking for climbing equipment so that I can start to take the little un climbing. I used to go but had all the kit provided. She has been going to a wall for a while now & I would like to take her to do some top roping on a real rock face. We have a few bits already but do need more.

If any one has gear that they have grown out of or no longer use I would be interested. I am slowly picking stuff up of eBay as well.

Can pay in cash or services (if close enough).

Stuff def needed

large (34 to 40" ish) harness for me to do belaying (so padding important)
ropes
belay plate
more crabs
more slings

"real" climbing stuff would also be good as we will lead on to other climbing types as well.

Last edited by RichardW on Mon Apr 05, 10 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

MARY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 10 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Climbing equipment wanted Reply with quote

[quote="RichardW"]I am looking for climbing equipment so that I can start to take the little un climbing.

Have you looked at UKclimbing and local clubs? You are in one of the best climbing areas.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/

Down on the left hand side there is a list of different forums...for sale/wanted.
I check members history/profile as some seem to be there only to sell, bit iffy.
M

RichardW

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 10 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Yeh just found that & signed up. Not much suitable at the min but will keep watching.

I know its a great area for climbing. I used to do loads many years a go but had all the gear provided.

She is a member of the local indoor wall climbing club. Not been a member long but has been using the same wall via the council climbing sessions. I think they do rock sessions as well.

Maxwell Smart

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 10 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a brand new - never used rope lying about somewhere but it's about 10 years old.... sacrilege i know....

RichardW

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 10 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prob only good for non climbing use now. I think they have a 5 year shelf life if stored in ideal conditions & 2 years (normal use, 1 year in heavy use) once they are in use.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 10 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is that then? I can understand ropes in use having a finite life, but unused ones stored well, why would they expire?

RichardW

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 10 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that all things change with time.

"new" car tyres rot even if never used.
food composts
natural products break down

So I guess that plastics also degrade over time. We have all seen plastic go hard or even crumbly when old.

I think that UV (IE sunlight) is the biggest problem, but it just accelerates the problem.

In fact thinking about it, as the most precious thing to me will be on the end of the rope (and other equipment) I will be buying new stuff.

welsh veg grower

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 10 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardW wrote:
I guess that all things change with time.

"new" car tyres rot even if never used.
food composts
natural products break down

So I guess that plastics also degrade over time. We have all seen plastic go hard or even crumbly when old.

I think that UV (IE sunlight) is the biggest problem, but it just accelerates the problem.

In fact thinking about it, as the most precious thing to me will be on the end of the rope (and other equipment) I will be buying new stuff.

Think thats best, hubby used to climb and I did a bit along with our eldest but I think Hubby would tell you the equipment is so important, best to make sure it is all ok and keep you both safe, great fun once the safety is all sorted.

MARY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 10 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact thinking about it, as the most precious thing to me will be on the end of the rope (and other equipment) I will be buying new stuff.[/quote]

Think thats best, hubby used to climb and I did a bit along with our eldest but I think Hubby would tell you the equipment is so important, best to make sure it is all ok and keep you both safe, great fun once the safety is all sorted.[/quote]

Agree, a mate of mine out on a route recently, had to cut his rope. He was staggered at how quickly it went once the initial cut had been made. He thought it would be an effort to cut through it, rock can be sharp.

Maxwell Smart

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 10 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya i would probably only use it for hauling bags or something where it would not be subject to much stress...

What happens is that the threads break down over time and it can lead to catastrophic failure if subject to extreme stress such as from a fall.

MARY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 10 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxwell Smart wrote:
ya i would probably only use it for hauling bags or something where it would not be subject to much stress...

What happens is that the threads break down over time and it can lead to catastrophic failure if subject to extreme stress such as from a fall.

Like the new thead title!
You can pick up some good second hand gear, it's knowing what to look for.
Wish my dad had been into climbing when I was a kid!

Mary

misty07

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 10 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look at go outdoors see if you like anything and i can get anything at cost price my brother has alot of climbing gear so il ask him if he has any spare

RichardW

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 10 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool thanks.

Blacksmith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 10 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sold all my stuff a couple of years ago at a boot sale.
Ropes (kernmantle and hawser laid) should be replaced often, yearly if used for caving, as the water/grit gets between the fibres and wears them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive