Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Do you do dairy?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing

Do you do your own dairy?
Yes and I eat it raw
19%
 19%  [ 8 ]
Yes and I pasteurise it
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
No I buy raw
14%
 14%  [ 6 ]
No I buy pasteurised milk
61%
 61%  [ 26 ]
I don't do dairy because it upsets my digestion
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't do dairy because it upsets my ethics
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
I don't do dairy because it I just don't like it/the taste
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 42

Author 

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 10 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really sure about the rancid smell, as you're using cream that's on the fresh side, cold fresh cream will mean it takes longer to turn - best to have it a bit warm and a bit aged to speed it up, at least 24hrs old.

Perhaps it's picking up a taint from your containers, maybe reacting with something - what are you using to handle it at the moment?

liz

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 10 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use really clean glass churn or kenwood bowl and 2 oldish thin wooden spatulas to shape it. really interested in your comment about the age of the cream - is it really the older the better (within reason of course) the lady who gives me the cream makes butter every 2 days, using an electric churn and it turns within 4 - 5 mins but she wont give any of her secrests away. maybe I am using it too young.

VSS

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 10 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made butter on a daily basis with the previous day's cream (when the cream separator was working) and with cream saved from the top of the churn (currently) saved up over a few days.

The best temperature for churning is room temp - I tend to take the cream out of the fridge mid-morning and leave it to stand in the kitchen (where I make it) for about four hours. If its too cold, it won't come very well. If you are still churning after 40 minutes try adding a small glass of hot water to half a gallon of cream. It might just do it.

The biggest problem I find with the cream being too warm is that the butter globules are too squishy, makeing it difficult to work all the water out after washing.

If your butter is smelling rancid, you are probably not washing it well enough - you don't say if you are using home produced cream or bought. It might be something the dairy animal is eating. If its bought pastuerised cream, rememebr that heat treated cream doesn't naturally sour like raw dairy products - it just goes bad!

As far as the length of time spent churning is concerned, it is laegely dependant of how far through the lactation your animal is. Earlier in the lactation, the fat globules are much larger and so stick together more easily, so the butter comes more easily. Later in the lactation it takes much longer to get the butter. The ideal is to make loads of butter early on when it is quick and freeze enough so you can give up later in the season when it gets too time consuming.

Hope that helps a bit.

liz

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 10 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you VSS for your very helpful comments. I am being given unpasteurised cream by someone who makes excellent cheese and butter easily nearly every day. It is very fresh when I collect it early in the morning, come home and try to make butter, perhaps I should try leaving it in the fridge for a couple of days, bring it to room temp and then try. I will also try the hot water if necessary.

thanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive