Yes
100%
 100%  [ 7 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 10 11:16 pm    Post subject: My Fruit tree isnt doing anything! Reply with quote

My daughter gave me an apricot tree for Mothers day. It doesnt seem dead but its showing no sign of life at all! It just seems to be in suspended animation! The tiny buds are there but have not grown at all. I keep watering it! The branches are still bendy, so it looks as though its got some sap in it. Is this normal? I have just planted a cherry tree and thats not showing any signs of life either! Thats only been in two or three weeks. I keep looking optimistically at them trying to convince myself the buds are getting bigger, but in truth they are not!
Pam

maryf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 10 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep going with the tlc, you might not get much this year, fruit trees do sometimes take a season or two to establish.

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 10 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, both should be ding something by now, where are you?

Boris

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 10 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Surrey.

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 10 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me that it was probably pot grown & the roots are bound.
Keep watering & feeding this year & if there's no improvement lift it when it's dormant & tease out the roots & replant in some well prepared soil (compost, bone meal additions) next winter.

Jb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 10 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mothers day was about seven weeks ago so I would have expected to see something by now. Is there any colour in the buds or are they just brown and dull? The fact that you said the cherry tree is also showing no signs of life is a but suspicious as well.

- Did they come from the same supplier? could be a dud supplier.
- It's very late to be planting fruit trees so I'm not sure how well you'd expect them to do in the first year. Even planted in the autumn / winter I wouldn't expect much.
- Could be spending a lot of effort in root growth rather than top growth?
- Are these planted in the ground or dwarf varieties in pots?

Given the late planting unless they're obviously dead I'd be tempted to give them a chance, even right through to next spring if need be, before writing them off.

Boris

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 10 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, they were both from different suppliers, one through the post, with just a bag round the roots. I suspect you may be right about the main effort going into the roots, I didnt tease the roots out before I planted it. The apricot was pot grown. I put some growmore in the soil.Any suggestions as to what else I could feed them with? I wondered if the weather hasnt helped. The buds are just brown and dull, but they are still attached if you know what I mean. When things have died in the past the buds have just fallen off

Midland Spinner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 10 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear, sounds very like the plum tree I planted last year.

I tried the watching, watering & waiting and ended up with a dead tree.

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 10 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris wrote:
The buds are just brown and dull, but they are still attached if you know what I mean. When things have died in the past the buds have just fallen off

Cherries and apricots are both good at hanging on to dead buds, try scraping the bark on one of the branches to see if there's any sign of green under there

Boris

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 10 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scraped both, both got green in the bark!

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 10 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then fret not, sit tight and wait. The original buds might be dead but new ones should open soon.

Boris

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 10 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 10 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRuit trees take their time. I've waited 10 years for one apple tree to blossom - this is the first year - I'm so glad I waited and didn't lose patience.

joanne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 10 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gil wrote:
FRuit trees take their time. I've waited 10 years for one apple tree to blossom - this is the first year - I'm so glad I waited and didn't lose patience.

That's good to know - My bullace is now huge and still no sign of any flowers and the same for the apple & pear - One day I'll have a bumper crop!

judith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 10 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jocorless wrote:
gil wrote:

That's good to know

Agreed. My Blue Tit plum seems to have no interest in flowering whatsoever, despite appearing to be growing quite happily.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive