Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Pepper questions

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 10 9:59 am    Post subject: Pepper questions Reply with quote

I have a chilli pepper and a bell pepper plant I picked up earlier in the year. Both plants started flowing back in April, and due to the absence of bees at that time I had to pollinate them by hand with a paint brush.

Yesterday I took the first harvest of two chilli's off the chilli plant, and there is a nice bell pepper growing on the other.

Question is, am I likely to get a second crop out of these? Is there anything I can do to promote more growth and encourage more cropping?

Thanks

J

nettie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 10 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should do, there's plenty of time, just feed them What varieties are they and what size pots are they in?

Pilsbury

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 10 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and if you havent already done so pinch out the growing tips to promote more flowers and fruits

quixoticgeek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 10 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nettie wrote:
You should do, there's plenty of time, just feed them :) What varieties are they and what size pots are they in?

I am not sure about varieties, they were 78p in B&Q (impulse buy :o( )

They are in Tomato pots, not sure the actual capacity of them.

J

Pilsbury

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 10 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought myself a dorset Naga last weekend, not sure if I have time to get it to fruit this year but I have managed to overwinter chillies before so wil give it a go.

Slim

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 10 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quixoticgeek wrote:
nettie wrote:
You should do, there's plenty of time, just feed them What varieties are they and what size pots are they in?

I am not sure about varieties, they were 78p in B&Q (impulse buy ( )

J

If they're potted up, then there's a good chance they've exhausted the nutrition available to them. Re-pot into some new soil/compost mix and maybe a larger pot or plant them into a garden.

I personally don't pinch growth tips off of any of mine, as bigger plants mean more nodes to flower & fruit from. Peppers grow to be woody shrubs in the tropical environments that they evolved in, so as long as you've got frost free days ahead of you, and the plants have adequate nutrition, you'll keep getting growth and peppers!

nettie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 10 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slim wrote:
quixoticgeek wrote:
nettie wrote:

I am not sure about varieties, they were 78p in B&Q (impulse buy ( )

J

If they're potted up, then there's a good chance they've exhausted the nutrition available to them. Re-pot into some new soil/compost mix and maybe a larger pot or plant them into a garden.

I personally don't pinch growth tips off of any of mine, as bigger plants mean more nodes to flower & fruit from. Peppers grow to be woody shrubs in the tropical environments that they evolved in, so as long as you've got frost free days ahead of you, and the plants have adequate nutrition, you'll keep getting growth and peppers!

Completely agree.

Get them in pots at least 8" across if you can, or 3 plants to a grow bag, and give them tomato feed once a week when they start flowering.

Chillis will, if brought indoors, go on producing all winter (that is, if the spider mite doesn't get them first!!) If you get it really right you can treat them as perennials. Mind you I've tried this, and in this climate TBH it's more aggro than it's worth!!

nettie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 10 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pilsbury wrote:
I bought myself a dorset Naga last weekend, not sure if I have time to get it to fruit this year but I have managed to overwinter chillies before so wil give it a go.

Tis true, some of the hot types seem to take for ever, i harvest my habaneros in Oct/Nov, having sown in Jan/Feb!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive