links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Bizarre blackfly infestation

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 10 2:40 pm    Post subject: Bizarre blackfly infestation Reply with quote

We got home yesterday from a weekend away to discover one of our broad bean plants absolutely covered in blackfly. None whatsoever on any of the other plants. Most odd.
Anyone got any ideas as to why this might be?

misty07

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 10 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im the same all blackfly on 1 pot of beans none of the others afected but dont know what to do with them

chicken feed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 10 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont grow broad beans but mum had the same problem last year she sprayed them with water & fairy liquid and within a day no more blackfly.

Bebo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 10 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broad beans are notorious for attracting black fly.

Be careful with the washing up liquid you use. OH managed to singe the leaves on our broad beans. I'll only use soap flakes from now on.

T.G

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 10 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chicken feed wrote:
i dont grow broad beans but mum had the same problem last year she sprayed them with water & fairy liquid and within a day no more blackfly.

yes washing up water is great for it - i through it over them when i've done the pots

SarahB

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 10 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bebo wrote:
Broad beans are notorious for attracting black fly.

Be careful with the washing up liquid you use. OH managed to singe the leaves on our broad beans. I'll only use soap flakes from now on.

I use soap nut solution in a sprayer.

nettie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 10 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that they've singled out one plant, i think it's just that they're so late this year (like everything else), and that happens to be the first plant they got to. I saw the first blackfly activity here this weekend, and they would normally have been here a month ago.

Cut out the blackfly infested bits, then cut the growing tops off ALL the broad beans regardless of whether they have the fly (these get infested first) and if they are OK, steam or wilt the tips and eat them!!!

otatop

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 10 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might well be a bit late for this comment, bit I've found that some sacrificial pot marigolds among the beans seem to help.

nettie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 10 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely the best ever thing about this I've discovered, completely by accident/laziness, is that blackfly far prefer cow parsley to broad beans, nasturtiums or marigolds!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive