About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Beach fishing advice
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 12 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you followed Dewsphine's link, Jamanda? It had me in stitches but aimed at beginners to teach them how to fish it ain't!

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 12 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

floorlord wrote:

Have you followed Dewsphine's link, Jamanda? It had me in stitches but aimed at beginners to teach them how to fish it ain't!

Only vaguely. I sort of assumed Drew knew what he was talking about

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 12 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to be proved wrong, but I can't think of anyone who's situated to write such an article. Drewsephine could, but he's in a submarine most of the time.

12Bore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 12 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

floorlord

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 12 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm half way there. I was reading the Where can I learn to fish? thread and ziggy searchfield has put some great links in there as well as reading the advice on both this and that thread. Thanks to all and especially to Boris for starting that thread.

Northern Boy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 12 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am all for experiential learning, but for a complete beginner it helps enormously to go with someone who knows the ropes and is willing to help.

If you have ask/look on the Worldseafishing forums, particularly the catch reports in your area, you will find usually find some friendly folk willing to help.

https://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/forum.php

Drewsephine

Location: noun 1 a particular place or position: the property is set in a convenient location an actual place
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 12 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamanda wrote:
floorlord wrote:

Only vaguely. I sort of assumed Drew knew what he was talking about

Assuming I know anything is always a dodgy move. However I might have a bit more time on my hands soon which will be all good. Also if people wanna go out fishing, PM me and I'll see what I can arrange. Will have a look at writing a guide soon.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 12 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff! Are you on dry land at the moment then?

Drewsephine

Location: noun 1 a particular place or position: the property is set in a convenient location an actual place
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 12 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of
See this thread. However I'll still have to go to sea when its time to bring out the next Astute class boat.

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 12 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love and article on fishing from the shore - I used to fish, but I have vowed not to go to sea again.. due to sea sickness..

floorlord

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 12 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Northern Boy. Worldseafishing.com is one of the links ziggy searchfield put in, too, but he didn't mention their forum. I'll try it.

Where are you when not at sea, Drew? Anywhere near the Yorkshire coast? I'd like to take you up on your offer but that's as far as I can get over the next couple of months. Too many things going on to be able to get away for more than a few days at a time so distance travelling isn't very practical.

Any other would-be learners within striking distance of Scarborough, Brid-Flamborough or Whitby so we could have a crack at this fishing malarky together? Like, er, copy each others' mistakes?

Drewsephine

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 12 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks like youre on the wrong side of the country for me.
Im at barrow in furness at the mo.

floorlord

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 12 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I'll pop over to Fleetwood and wave.

carlseawolf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 12 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for diffrent rigs try this PDF file,

https://www.planetseafishing.com/downloads/psf-book-of-rigs.pdf

floorlord

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 12 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, carlseawolf. Already got that PDF but it doesn't mean I don't appreciate the effort. Can't remember where I got the link. Either somewhere here or on the worldseafishing.com forum, probably . That's been a brilliant help. Believe me, I needed help to start with.

Couldn't tie a knot. Couldn't put the line out and make the reel work. Couldn't cast. Seriously, first time I tried had there been anyone standing to my right I'd have done them a very serious injury with a 4oz piece of lead flying fast through the air!

"What's a rig ffs?" and "What's a snood ffs?" were typical thoughts when I started reading the threads. The wsf site has been great, just reading the threads has taught me tons. The members aren't afraid to put links in to helpful articles and threads on other sites if it suits the topic. The articles and blogs are very seriously well informed, mostly very well written and worth taking heed of. Superb tutorials too.

I'm catching my own peelers, lug and rag now. Prawns soon, too, when I get my bike-wheel drop net together!

No car, nowhere near the coast and camping when I go means weight is a serious issue, so improvisation is a must. That requires thinking and learning fast. It's working.

So far all of my knots have held, even in hard snagging such as weed and rocks. That has been the biggest surprise of all. By dint of a little bit of sideways rod movement and gentle tugging, so far I haven't lost so much as a lead rigged for a rotten bottom (two or three weeks ago I didn't even understand the term).

So tomorrow I'm off to Scarborough to dig for rag and lug worms. At low tide I'll try my casting skills, 100+ yards in a field, more importantly it's in my intended direction within 5-10 degrees, but not tried on a beach or a rock yet. Found a great online tutorial for casting, shout and I'll post it if interested. I haven't even tried for distance yet, just trying to make sure the bait stays on and the direction is accurate. Mackerel will be the target, spinning with feathers (two more terms I had to look up).

If there's time after that I'll try and drop a line off the pier towards high tide, or move on towards Cayton Bay and try off a sea wall, first for bass on a free line with a mackerel head and guts, then (whether that works or not) for grey mullet with either bread or a flowing trace rig.

Hey, folks, hope this hasn't been too boring for you. For me it's interesting to go through how far I've got in so little time and thinking about the stages that it took. So thanks for posting, carlseawolf, and prompting the forum email to remind me where I started from. Here.

Let me know if you're interested in further developments. Here for all to see or PM, I don't mind whether you're shy or not. Then I'll either give you reports or put in links to where I've reported, as it goes along.

Seriously thinking of starting my own site/blog next year so I'm watching copyright too. How much does what I post here (and on other sites) become the IP of other people/organisations? Got a great camera now and the photographic evidence is just knockout. Been so busy learning to fish that the other aspects of foraging and small garden self-sufficiency are taking a back seat but that is, I promise, just while I go through the very early learning stages.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive