Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 10 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Rachel

Nick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 10 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bebo wrote:
Welcome.

I was noticing the numbers of haws on the trees yesterday and thought it was a shame that they aren't worth using. Crab apples are around in abundance as well. I foresee chilli jelly being made in this house soon.

Recipe, please!

Lancashire Rach

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 10 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgt.colon wrote:
Lancashire Rach wrote:
12Bore wrote:
Hi Rach Whereabouts in Lancs are you? There's prolly another DSer not far away.

Hi 12Bore, I am in East Lancs - live in a little village just outside Colne (of Boundary Mill fame!) .

Would love to know if anyone is nearby......

Rach

Foulridge?

I lived in Colne for 10 years. I was born in Burnley and lived in Nelson for 19 years.

I take it you are very fond of your MIL???? LOL

Rach

Bebo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 10 10:37 am    Post subject: Chilli Jelly Reply with quote

Take however many crab apples you can fit in the pot, add a couple of habanero or scotch bonnet chillis and a little water. Boil until mushy and then strain through a jelly bag or muslin. Finely chop chillis, I use lots but its up to you really, add to the liquid. Measure liquid and for every pint use a pound of sugar and put it all in a maslin pan and boil until setting point reached.

Fantastic with pate or cheese.

If you haven't got an easy source of crab apples, cooker will do the same job.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 10 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Chilli Jelly Reply with quote

Bebo wrote:
Take however many crab apples you can fit in the pot, add a couple of habanero or scotch bonnet chillis and a little water. Boil until mushy and then strain through a jelly bag or muslin. Finely chop chillis, I use lots but its up to you really, add to the liquid. Measure liquid and for every pint use a pound of sugar and put it all in a maslin pan and boil until setting point reached.

Nick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 10 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Chilli Jelly Reply with quote

sgt.colon wrote:
Bebo wrote:

https://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?p=999614#999614

Ta.

Bebo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 10 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Chilli Jelly Reply with quote

sgt.colon wrote:
Bebo wrote:

if you read two posts earlier there is a request for the recipe.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 10 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Chilli Jelly Reply with quote

Bebo wrote:
sgt.colon wrote:
Bebo wrote:

if you read two posts earlier there is a request for the recipe.

Oh that would be to easy for me. Thanks, that clears up my confusion.

kate s

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 10 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya,greetings from Manchester,I'm originally from Rochdale ,used to live inWhalley near Clitheroe & used to do some spinning demo's at Wycoller which is quite near to you & one of my most favourite places in the world.We've got loads of haws here as well

Nick

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 10 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Chilli Jelly Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
sgt.colon wrote:
Bebo wrote:

https://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?p=999614#999614

Ta.

Braindead. How much is a little water? Cook until sort of apple sauce consistency?

Bebo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 10 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A coffee cup full? Until the apples at mushy. No need to peel them or anything, just cut up into chunks if they big.

Nick

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 10 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made it, it worked, thanks.

It's like napalm. Excellent.

Nick

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 12 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Chilli Jelly Reply with quote

Bebo wrote:

Just making some of this and had to hunt for the recipe, so it's here in case you want to do the same.

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 12 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be in the database, under Chilli Jelly.

VM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 12 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too late for this year, but have seen recipe for Hawthorn Ketchup, I think - possibly in the Pam Corbin/River Cottage preserving book.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Welcome All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive