Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Chimney Sweeping
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 11 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mutton wrote:
Because its Saturday night, here's a daft-ish question. Read of putting an (old) shot gun in at the bottom of the chimney and blasting it clean.

Any comments?

(Other than don't )

does your household insurance cover damage caused by shotgun?

RichardW

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 11 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Use a qualified chinney sweep Reply with quote

Master Sweeps wrote:
Home owners can sweep their own chimneys. However, many insurance companies are more and more looking to see if the chimney was swept by a competent chimney sweep.

If a house catches fire as a result of a chimney fire and the owner states they swept the chimney themselves, there is a strong possibility the insurance company will refuse to pay oput since the home owner has no way of proving they were competent to undertake the sweep.

Is that fact or urban legend?

Can you link to one actual real case where the insurance dint pay out due to DIY sweeping?

Will it soon be that home owners cant even do a bit of decorating or any DIY? What about cutting the grass or dong the cooking? Even sex might soon need a professional to do it for you lest your insurance does not cover you for "all" risks.

Why do some people / trades / companies feel the need to scare people into using their services?

God what a state this country is in.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 11 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your link doesn't mention getting someone else in to do it, it just says "Homeowner's insurance excludes damage from lack of routine maintenance and normal wear and tear." so if you swept it yourself wouldn't you be covered?

RichardW

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 11 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you sweep chimneys quicker than you reply to questions.

Colin & Jan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 11 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether you sweep it yourself or get a professional please make sure your chimney is swept. After 34 years in the fire service I have seen some horrible outcomes from chimney fires. At the very least a split pot can cost £100's to put right.

As with most things there are very competent amateurs and poor 'professionals'. The poor 'professionals' don't last very long. The good professionals on the other hand are clean, efficient, knowledgeable and willing to go the extra.

ros

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 11 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we had a chimney fire in the chimney/flue that served the old oil boiler and were lucky that someone spotted the smoke coming through the roof tiles,woke us up and called 999.

the "chimney" had an access point from the outside and had, we thought - been thoroughly swept each year when the boiler was serviced by a professional

So just saying that it's not just your normal fireplace chimney that needs doing and doing properly!

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 11 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weve just had our 2 chimneys swept yesterday -
£90 - really thorogh job and yes, your insurance co will not pay if you cant prove youve had your chimneys competetenly swept.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 11 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what qualification do you need to look out for, i.e. how do you confirm you have a 'competent' sweep?

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 11 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

membership of a sweeps association (Im sure there is more than one). Dont know if they actually need a qualification - our guy is 48ish, but the firm has been going for years. Our last guy was getting on a bit...

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 11 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cheeky grin, red 'kerchief, cockernee accent and a tendency to burst into song are the main qualifications.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 11 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had a look and yes, there seems to be a large number of organisations and looks like you get issued with a sweeping certificate.

I'm not sure what to think though, on the one hand someone who's not used to a fire I would certainly recommend they get a sweep in rather than attempt to light a fire with a litre of bbq fluid, a bag of coal and an old nest stuffed up the chimney. On the other, if you're half with it or if you have a good quality wood burner in a lined chimney you might not need a sweep for years.

I also wonder what most insurance companies would say. I rang mine a few years back before getting some building work done and they didn't have a clue about what I should ask for.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive