links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Throwing fish back dead
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 10 5:41 pm    Post subject: Throwing fish back dead Reply with quote

About as eco friendly as fillet and release,

Have a look at the video & see if you want to sign the petition.

https://www.fishfight.net/index#signup-form

kirstyfern

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 10 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought that it was a complete waste throwing fish back - because of quotas!
I've just signed up and posted on my facebook page x

zigs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 10 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirstyfern wrote:
I've always thought that it was a complete waste throwing fish back - because of quotas!
I've just signed up and posted on my facebook page x

I too have put it on facebok & other angling sites

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 10 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Yes the fish waste is appalling, but this

Quote:
By submitting this registration, River Cottage can contact me about relevant products and services, unless I have unticked this box to object.

with a very pale tick in the box is a bit sneaky.

I think I'll find a different way to voice my disapproval.

crofter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 10 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see the villains are no longer "greedy fishermen"

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 10 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamanda wrote:

Quote:
By submitting this registration, River Cottage can contact me about relevant products and services, unless I have unticked this box to object.

Its RC`s way of Marketting through an appeal,
I agree its a sneaky way,i noticed that ,in-fact the site since change is one big spam.

Bodger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 10 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not an ideal situation, far from it. BUT, if what this petition is advocating, is that every dead fish landed should be put into the food chain, then surely this is going to be open to massive abuse.

For starters, you might as well do away with all quotas. I say this, because thats what commercial fishermen would be encouraged to do. They'd be able to fish away full time, with the perfect excuse that virtually everything that they catch is almost certain to die if its released back into the sea. If what is being suggested is ever implemented, it would surely encourage fishermen to go over quota, content in the knowledge that any excess would be worth something to them financially. At the moment, not only is it a loss to the environment but its also a financial loss to them too.
The present situation is far from being ideal, we all hate waste, but IMO the alternative would be far worse.
Its about as well thought out as a chocolate teapot.

I don't think that there's a simple answer to the situation. Our seas are already being hoovered by commercial fisherman, if this change in legislation ever came to pass, then it would allow the sea to get even more of a cleaning.

milkmaid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 10 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big fishing area here ,and i work with exfisherman ,
watching the small fishing boats here and then seeing big trawlers from else where coming in sticks in their troat a bit ,
they've been paying for boats to be taken out to sea and blown up ,we have lost a lot here to that
one of the problems here is small fish ,the fish used to be a size you can land a lot of them are to small now they use nets with bigger holes now

they are only allowed out here 2 days a week
and in scotland they're setting up a marine park

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 10 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Throwing fish back dead Reply with quote

ziggy searchfield wrote:
About as eco friendly as fillet and release,

Have a look at the video & see if you want to sign the petition.

https://www.fishfight.net/index#signup-form

Is there any details on how things can be changed? I assume the idea will not be to allow everything in the sea to be caught but there's no details on that site and the letter has nothing in it either.

Jb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 10 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamanda wrote:

Quote:

Write direct to the appropriate ministers, MPs etc. Petitions are a very ineffective way to campaign for anything, a letter (and I mean a letter, not an email) are far more effective.

paul1963

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 10 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throwing away food? I reckon the hungry peoples elsewhere in the world might have a view on that.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 10 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Throwing fish back dead Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
Is there any details on how things can be changed?

A good start would be those escape panels in the nets to let the under-size fish get away... I don't believe they are compulsory yet, and there is no reason for them to not be.
Increase the minimum size allowed.
And ban purse seine nets over a given size.

paul1963

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 10 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairyloon, you are absolutely spot on, and it wouldn't take rhat long for fish stocks to start to recover.

During the 2nd World War fish stocks in the North Atlantic returned to the levels of fifty years earlier thanks the the Nazi Kriegsmarine's fishing policy - they used to sink our fishing boats......

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 10 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwing fish back dead Reply with quote

Hairyloon wrote:
Treacodactyl wrote:
Is there any details on how things can be changed?

A good start would be those escape panels in the nets to let the under-size fish get away... I don't believe they are compulsory yet, and there is no reason for them to not be.
Increase the minimum size allowed.
And ban purse seine nets over a given size.

I know there's lots that could be done, but the letter in the link doesn't list any. I would be very wary of signing something that could lead to a worse situation, something many of the petitions seem to forget.

crofter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 10 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodger wrote:
Our seas are already being hoovered by commercial fisherman, if this change in legislation ever came to pass, then it would allow the sea to get even more of a cleaning.

Well, there are fishermen out there this afternoon, and to be honest I don't envy them. Contrary to popular belief, they are not hoovering up every creature in sight, many will be struggling to pay the bills because they do not have enough days at sea. I agree that there is no easy solution, but a restriction on effort combined with landing everything caught would be better than the current madness.

I think Milkmaid has hit the nail on the head. Quotas have nothing to do with conservation, they are a political tool which allow "equal access to a common resource" Despite what most people believe, cod are not endangered, in a year or two even the fisheries scientists will agree with that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive