links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Welding Kit (and advice) wanted.
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 11 1:28 pm    Post subject: Welding Kit (and advice) wanted. Reply with quote

I haven't done much welding since my MIG got stolen a few years ago, but I have rather foolishly gone to a local garage for my MOT instead of the usual place, and he has hammered a load of holes in it.
So I am wondering if I should take it up again as it is quite likely the cheapest option.

So has anything much moved on in the world of welding in the last ten years?
Anyone recommend any types, brands or dealers?

I am assuming MIG again, but I am wondering about getting one with an option for gasless as the bottles were always a PITA, but I've not heard any good reports on gasless.

RichardW

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 11 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not use gas less on a car. Its hard enough without having to peer through the smoke as well.

I am guessing that its an older type car? If not many newer ones cant be welded with standard MIG's as they need to protect the high tec metal.

Dont bother with a smaller SIP. Its more trouble than its worth. Are you on about disposables being a PITA Get a no rental bottle or rent but take it back after you are done.

You could get all the bits ready (car prepped & bits of metal cut & shaped) & then hire the welder & gas for the day.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 11 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardW wrote:
I would not use gas less on a car. Its hard enough without having to peer through the smoke as well.

Is the smoke the only problem?
Quote:
I am guessing that its an older type car? If not many newer ones cant be welded with standard MIG's as they need to protect the high tec metal.

1996. Not what I would call an older car, but in the context I assume so.
Quote:
Are you on about disposables being a PITA Get a no rental bottle or rent but take it back after you are done.

It was the rental bottles that I meant. I didn't know you could get them non-rental, can I ask where from?

Having tried it once and found it superb, I have wondered about TIG, but my tryout was on clean metal, so I've no idea what it is like for cars.

RichardW

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 11 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it also leave a slag similar to arc welding but not as much of it so you cant keep welding over the top.

For short term use I think a contract bottle would be better than a non rental one. They tend to be best for people that keep a bottle for years & only use a little bit of gas.

Check out the mig weld forum. They have a spread sheet to work out which deal is best for you. They also have a list of suppliers so you can see how is the best deal for you.

There is a company called Adams gas for one but also a few on eBay doing them. As you are up & down the country a bit you will no doubt be able to find a supplier. Locally we have none so would need to courier the bottle which kills the savings. BOC were doing a good deal but have now ended it.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 11 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardW wrote:
For short term use I think a contract bottle would be better than a non rental one. They tend to be best for people that keep a bottle for years & only use a little bit of gas.

I don't understand that. You'd have to keep paying for the rental, or else pay for all the gas you hadn't used when you take the bottle back.
It is inert, so it won't go off no matter how long you keep it surely.
Quote:
Check out the mig weld forum. They have a spread sheet to work out which deal is best for you. They also have a list of suppliers so you can see how is the best deal for you.

I'll look there drekly.
Quote:
Locally we have none so would need to courier the bottle which kills the savings.

If you want me to fetch one next time I'm coming over, then just let me know.

RichardW

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 11 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the monthly contracts you can have it just for one month. So yes you might loose on the gas that you return but you have not had to buy a no rent bottle or pay the steeper fee for the no rent gas.

I guess it depends if you want a bottle on hand all the time. I went with the BOC deal last Jan & have just renewed at £37 for the year. Next year I have to go back onto the full rent so will look round then.

Mind my mig is playing up at the min. I am hoping it was just the very cold weather causing it.

vegplot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 11 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still look for an argon bottle for TIG. Little use so trying to avoid contract.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 11 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegplot wrote:
I'm still look for an argon bottle for TIG. Little use so trying to avoid contract.

As I said earlier, if you find a dealer over here, I can easily un a bottle over there next trip.

vegplot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 11 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairyloon wrote:
vegplot wrote:

As I said earlier, if you find a dealer over here, I can easily un a bottle over there next trip.

Leeds way? That would be good if you could. I'll have a look. Thanks.

RichardW

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 11 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember that at some point you will want it refilled.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 11 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardW wrote:
Just remember that at some point you will want it refilled.

Well, if he wants a bottle, and I want a bottle, and neither of us do a great deal of welding, then we can probably work something out...

This is not helping me decide which kit to buy though.

vegplot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 11 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not gone down the MIG route yet. I bought a small arc welder off BB then added a TIG torch but not yet used it in anger. Most of my welding will be small fiddly bits where I need precision rather than speed or volume of production.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 11 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe TIG is best for precision, but I have no idea what they're like for cars.

RichardW

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 11 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a disposable bottle then.

About £13.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 11 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardW wrote:

I've had a look, but I cannot find the spreadsheet.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive