links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
An abundance of fruit tree blossom?
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 11 11:37 am    Post subject: An abundance of fruit tree blossom? Reply with quote

In our orchards this year, just about every fruit tree thats capable, is in fantastic full bloom. Its very early days yet, but lets hope that this bodes well for bumper crops. I don't know if its a coicidence but this has also gone hand in hand with us seeing more bumblebees on the blossom this year than in previous years. Have you noticed more blossom than usual in your area?

I'm particularly pleased to see that one of the perry pear trees that we planted in December 2008 has also decided to join in. Its an 'Early Helen' variety.
The fifty odd maiden apple trees that we planted this January are also a riot of pink flowers but obviously as nice as it is to see, any fruits on them will be removed to help the tree establish itself.

maryf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 11 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The miribel type plum has finished blossoming, the pears and peaches are doing nicely and so are the cherries. The apples have just started. All are old trees - probably about 50 yrs old, planted when the bungalow was built. I usually get a few pounds of plums, the apples and pears didn't do much last year, but the year before they were dripping with fruit, The cherries are usually ok, just have to beat the blackbirds, the peaches have never produced any fruit.

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 11 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loads of blossom out there, plenty of canker on me apricots though.

Bodger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 11 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut down all my Bramley apple trees last year because of canker problems. Our climate here in North wales just isn't right for them.
I went on a pruning course with Ian Sturrock ( he of Bardsey apple fame) who reckoned that there wasn't a Bramley in our region that didn't suffer with it.
How bad is the canker on your apricots and is it a regular problem? Having seen my friends apricots and peaches growing in NYS, I considered trying some here myself.

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 11 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon 3 (out of 60 odd) trees are dead or dying and most of the others are at least partly affected, some have whole branches that are affected.

Apparently bordeaux mixture twice a year helps.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 11 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loads of bumblebees here too

Bodger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 11 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and the climate where you are must be a heck of a lot dryer than ours. Thats bad news indeed.

Last edited by Bodger on Fri Apr 15, 11 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bodger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 11 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sally_in_wales wrote:
loads of bumblebees here too

Not had so many around for years.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 11 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was noticing the same thing just now. Some of the street trees here, tiny little things barely more than a big twig, absolutely heaving with blossom: you couldn't even see the tree for it.

LynneA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 11 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tiddler of a Ribston Pippin has started flowering this past week. The estate our house is in is dotted with crab apples, and the hospital that used to be here had an orchard, so pollination is no problem. The Hen's Turd cider apple I bought at the same time is hardly breaking bud yet, so I may have to check if I have any trees in the latest flowering group. If not, I have an excuse to get another tree

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 11 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodger wrote:
and the climate wher yo are must be a heck of a lot dryer than ours

Not half, problem though is damp autumns and springs, this year's the sunniest spring we've had since we moved here, but it was blinking wet last spring and autumn.

Bodger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 11 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LynneA wrote:
My tiddler of a Ribston Pippin has started flowering this past week. The estate our house is in is dotted with crab apples, and the hospital that used to be here had an orchard, so pollination is no problem. The Hen's Turd cider apple I bought at the same time is hardly breaking bud yet, so I may have to check if I have any trees in the latest flowering group. If not, I have an excuse to get another tree

I'm just off to check my Pomona for 'HensTurd' cider apples Lynne. Its yet another one that I haven't heard of. Baring in mind my desire to eventually become a commercial cider producer, I was wondering how Hens Turd cider might go down with the punters?

joanne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 11 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My crab apple is budding with blossom but not out yet - another week or so before that happens - my bullace has flowered for the first time ever as has another apple tree that has been in for about 4 years so I'm really chuffed - the pear tree isn't doing anything & tbh I think it is in the wrong spot even though I know they are slow growers

yummersetter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 11 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous here, but just in the first week of full apple blossom. I noticed last week that some of the apples are more perfumed (James Grieve, Ribston Pippin) and those were the ones that were attracting the bees.

Usually any faint perfume is drowned in the overwhelming scent of the pittisporum, which fills the whole garden and orchard, but it's looking like a decidedly dead tree this tree.

The blossom itself, leafbreak and flowering time is so different between the apple varieties, it seems that would be good to record if you're trying to identify an unknown variety.

Court Pendu Plat, Orleans Reinette and Pomeroy of Somerset have just broken their buds, they'll be several weeks longer before they're in full flower.

12Bore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 11 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodger wrote:
LynneA wrote:

I'm just off to check my Pomona for 'HensTurd' cider apples Lynne. Its yet another one that I haven't heard of. Baring in mind my desire to eventually become a commercial cider producer, I was wondering how Hens Turd cider might go down with the punters?

You brew it, I'll drink it!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive