Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
English Apples
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 05 1:47 pm    Post subject: English Apples Reply with quote

Well the season has started, albeit with one of my least favourite apples; Discovery is in the shops now, Worcester's should be following along pretty soon (a little better)

twoscoops

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 05 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where would you go to buy them?

I think I'm right in saying that a 2002 survey found that during the peak of the English apple season only 37% of apples on the shelves of British supermarkets were grown in this country. It appears that supermarket buyers just can't be bothered with dealing with British growers, who produce tiny crops compared to thier international competitors.

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 05 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well our local greengrocer had Discovery in stock last Saturday, the farm shop that Nettie and I use ( www.eapples.co.uk ) probably has a few other varieties too but haven't had a chance to check.

Waitrose had worcester's last year as did Sainsbury

Behemoth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 05 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have a look in the market tomorrow but last year only one out of about a dozen fruit stalls sold English apples at all.

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 05 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behemoth wrote:
last year only one out of about a dozen fruit stalls sold English apples at all.

I find that truly amazing, I really do.

bernie-woman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 05 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just come back from buying some chicken waitrose and noticed they only had english discovery

Very proud of my one redsleeves and two laxtons superb growing in the garden There will have to be a ceremonial eating

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 05 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernie wrote:
There will have to be a ceremonial eating

Too right

Behemoth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 05 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
Behemoth wrote:
last year only one out of about a dozen fruit stalls sold English apples at all.

I find that truly amazing, I really do.

So did I - and they were mushy Cox's as well. The year before there were loads but none last year.

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 05 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behemoth wrote:
So did I - and they were mushy Cox's as well. The year before there were loads but none last year.

Should we organise a picket?

crackapple

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 05 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
Behemoth wrote:

Should we organise a picket?

too right! avoid all fruit stalls until they stock some english apples. my fave are russets, yum!!

Andy B

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 05 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the back of Kitchen Garden mag they have listed apple days, we went to one at Berrington hall a couple of years ago and found it very interesting.
https://www.commonground.org.uk/appleday.html

cab

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 05 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep your eyes open for wildling apples, it's a common tree to find on any bit of ground that's been left alone for a while. I've got a preserving pan full of them bubbling away for jellly right now, and I'm pickng bits of core from between my teeth as I type.

judith

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 05 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I managed to forage a couple of pounds of English Discovery at the greengrocer
There are several crab apples I have my beady eye on at the moment, but I haven't found any wild eating apple trees yet.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 05 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best English apples is an early one called Devonshire Quarrenden - just about ready now, and I'm about to pick in my garden. Lovely flavour, pink under the skin, but to eat fresh as it does not store.

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 05 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have four very wild apple trees near a derelict farmhouse near me, they won't be ripe for another few weeks or so, and are quite sharp. But they are local and their free!

On the subject of greengrocers, mine had local plums, damsons and tomatoes on display yesterday, they mark all their local produce with a florescent orange card to differentiate from the foerign stuff, I had to go in, spend £15 quid and congratulate them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive