Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Wild Colony

Author 

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 11 8:16 am    Post subject: Wild Colony Reply with quote

There is a colony of honeybees which is between the roof and ceiling of my flat-roofed kitchen. It arrived very suddenly, ie I didn't notice the swarm in the garden anywhere.
The guards are on duty outside, and it is great to see the bees arriving loaded up with pollen. A bonus- they look dark. This is in North Oxon.
These are the only bees I have, but I am enjoying watching them, and I will leave them to run their own affairs. I will put up a bait hive box though, in case a swarm leaves them. I don't know how far away bees would prefer to be apart from another colony. There is a lovely old pear tree about eight feet away where I thought of locating my box, but it may be better to put it further off.
After years of waiting, I am still standing in my spotless veil and top, with my smoker (plus new addition of a sugar-water spray) at the ready, and newly built tbh with a welcome mat out. One day I will be lucky, but am thrilled to see the Wild Bunch doing so well. It is a grand sight.
One beek I spoke to, who last summer started moving over from Nationals to tbhs said that when she and the Inspector lifted out a bar, the weight of honey, and the soft wax (it was a hot day) started falling off the bar and dropping, killing some bees. She is doubtful re. tbhs now and advises putting some form of rod down through the bars to support the wax and honey. I am not put off, since the bees, not industrial amounts of honey, is my interest.

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 11 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bait hives are best positioned further away from the parent colony.
250m plus, minimizes competition.
Saying that nothing is certain in beekeeping & I have seen evidence of them leaving one hive & entering another very near, but it's not the norm.
This page is useful with regards to situating bait hives.
Hopefully your wild colony will swarm & settle in the pear tree so you have a chance of capturing them before they depart for pastures new.
You could tempt them by baiting an accessible branch, in the same way as you would prepare a bait hive. A rub of old bees wax & a drop or two of lemon grass oil. Bees will often swarm to the same spots year after year & many think it's scent from previous swarms that tempts them.
Bees in a wall or roof can cause problems if the colony dies out & leaves honey behind.
If left vacant for long it will absorb moisture from the air, ferment & can cause moulds.
Normally though they don't leave much stores or another colony soon finds the site & swarms to it.
Good luck.

goosey

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 11 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is some excellent advice and information, thank you Tavascarow
Based on that, I will put tempting wax and oil on a branch of the pear tree, and put my box further off too.
I will leave them be for this summer. The roofing felt will need to be changed in a couple of years, and so I will play it by ear, if they are still there. If there is a damp/mould issue, that would be a good time to repair it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive