Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Wool types
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 11 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she looks the pattern up on Ravelry she can check if anyone else has used the yarn she fancies for it, and see how it came out and if they had any observations

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 11 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned, I would always do a tension square. Even on the same needles you may knit looser/tighter than the average. If your tension square is too small, use a larger size needle and try again. Similarly if it is too large, try again with a smaller sized needle. Repeat until it is the same size as it is supposed to be. All knitting patterns have a tension note at the beginning.

The look will not change significantly if you just go up or down a couple of needle sizes. It will only make a big difference if you are using say 4 ply instead of double knit, and then you would probably need to do calculations rather than needle size changes. More for the advanced knitter.

I have translated sock patterns from 4 ply to my hand spun wool which is nearer a 2/3 ply thickness quite satisfactorily, but that does need quite a lot of maths.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive