Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
need encouragement i'm skint and cheeseless
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Author 

Location: thrapston gardening foraging or preserving in the kitchen or eating of course
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 11 9:45 pm    Post subject: need encouragement i'm skint and cheeseless Reply with quote

Spent the last 6 years retraining, counselling, holistics and hypnotherapy. Can I get any business can I buggery! I'm lucky if I can do a hour a week. Had a part time job supporting students at the loacl college until government cuts. Deliverd phone books last week takes them a month to pay

totally run out of money now used the last of my over draft to do up my spare sitting room and have a website done. Living off my tax credits now just enough to pay bills. Living off the allotment and my dry store ingredients NO MONEY FOR CHEESE. I'll have to start market trading again which is dire i'm desparate.

Bit of moral support please!

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 11 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you do a bit of gardening for other people?

Rob R

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 11 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may sound like totally the wrong thing to do but offer your services for free - some influential recommendations can go a long way!

Other than that, I'm no good at moral support so PM me your address and I'll post some emergency cheese!

rachelk

Location: thrapston gardening foraging or preserving in the kitchen or eating of course
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 11 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could try, i've done it before I've got an RHS qualification. Is it a bit late in the year now?

lettucewoman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 11 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about seeing if there are any networking clubs near you? They usually cost but you can try them free..maybe an opportunity to get your name out there?

Do you belong to linked in?

How about a link to your website in your signature, or maybe create a banner and ask if you can put it on here (loads of us have!

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 11 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob R wrote:
and I'll post some emergency cheese!

It could be the next Wallace and Grommit adventure, in which our heroes set up a High Speed Emergency Cheese delivery service...

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 11 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rachelk wrote:
I could try, i've done it before I've got an RHS qualification. Is it a bit late in the year now?

Stuff is still growing! Card up the post office or some supermarkets have boards for local ads.

Not sure what would be a reasonable amount to ask per hour though.

Rob R

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 11 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
Rob R wrote:
and I'll post some emergency cheese!

It could be the next Wallace and Grommit adventure, in which our heroes set up a High Speed Emergency Cheese delivery service...

I'm in Wensleydale at the weekend, as it happens...

rachelk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 11 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried the free thing I given countless vouchers for Indian Head Massages away to charity raffle events to shopkeepers who have put cards out for me. I've only ever had 2 people use the free vouchers.

I've had about 4 friends let me practise hypnosis on them. There still seems to be this fear, thanks to stage hypnosis, that I'm going to make them click like a chicken. The baptist church wouldn't let me put up a poster as they said it was anti christian!

Some good news just arrived my friend has just e-swapped me 12 eggs for some homemade jam!

Rob R

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 11 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got to be selective who you give the free stuff too - I had a pork sale a couple of years ago & very few people came back for more. The free stuff needs to go to people who lots of people listen to or it won't work.

Some months are just quiet though for no reason, so you have to take the rough with the smooth & not be afraid to keep on reminding people you are there, because they soon forget.

Rob R

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 11 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And never turn down an opportunity - I'm still waiting for a PM

rachelk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 11 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think August is a quiet month generally. I'm hoping that lots of people will go back to school, work ect and need some sort of therapy in Sept.

I'm doing a presentation on hypnoBirthing In the library in two weeks, but can't start classes until my paper work comes back from USA. Cyling over to my partners tomorrow, I'll have to raid his fridge in exchange for a hot night of passion!

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 11 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the cheese offer!!!!!!!

Katieowl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 11 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure 'this' is the moment in time for people to be taking time out for themselves TBH. Anything seen as a 'luxury' on the back burner for most peoples. Gutting for you if you've spent 6 years training though. Sympathies.

I'd be looking for the next plan, assuming you're already past plan B?!

Could you rent out the newly decorated spare sitting room to a flat mate? Any chance of finding a totally unrelated part time job in your part of the world?

Kate

Cathryn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 11 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rachelk wrote:

A couple of my family are RHS trained gardeners, it's a requirement more or less for those gardens that they look after and they can charge a good rate because of it. They are skilled and knowledgeable. Now is the time when heavy gardening gets done, something you would want to pay someone to do. Let me know if you want me to find out their rates.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive