Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
English Apples Again
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 05 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought? In that case that's definitely an ER, Cox's Orange pippin, Conference (taste can vary a lot), is there another apple too?

judith

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 05 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say that the top left is a Cox's. It looks more like a Braeburn or summat like that to me.

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 05 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judith wrote:
I think the little one beneath the ER is more like a Cox's.

That's the one I was talking about (bottom l/h), the other one isn't braeburn (I don't think) although it probably is if it's a supermarket apple.

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 05 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't it look a bit too round for Braeburn? Mind you the only apple I've got that looks like that is Festival and I've never seen that anywhere other than lathcoats

judith

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 05 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought there were 4 types there. (Shows what I know ). But I still don't think the non-ER is a Cox. Certainly not an English one.

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 05 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, how many varieties are we looking at here?

ele

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 05 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 varieties I'm pretty sure, the top left does look like the bottom left in real life, it's just the way the camera caught it has made it look different.

They should be English cos they came out my local organic box delivery, every few weeks the varieties have been changing, I've also got some little titchy ones that look a bit like the big ones.

I'm dead ignorant on fruit varieties as you've probably guessed, but I'd be a bit suprised if they were coxs, cos I thought they were smaller and later or is that just the supermarket ones?

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 05 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gis a bit more of a clue on flavour, at the moment I'm sticking with my original thoughts

ele

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 05 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
Gis a bit more of a clue on flavour, at the moment I'm sticking with my original thoughts

on the cusp between acid and sweet, quite crisp, turned brown very slowly, not very aromatic, tasted mildly of oranges, less flavoured than the russet, it's also a big apple it filled my palm totally!

I suspect that you're right it is a cox's orange pippin and maybe they bought a load in from further afield or something, who knows

judith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 05 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ele wrote:
I suspect that you're right it is a cox's orange pippin and maybe they bought a load in from further afield or something, who knows

I wonder - the New Zealand Cox's look very different to the English ones IMO. But it would seem rather daft to send you out-of-season apples from New Zealand!

bernie-woman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 05 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought some lovely looking russets from the farm shop and one I hadn't tried before - Lord Lambourne - lovely and sweet

ele

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 05 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judith wrote:
ele wrote:

I wonder - the New Zealand Cox's look very different to the English ones IMO. But it would seem rather daft to send you out-of-season apples from New Zealand!

I had a chat with the delvery chap today and it was definitely English so maybe a cox from down south. They grow their own apples too, many different varieties apparently but they're smaller and only just getting ripe, I shan't post up photos of all those for ID though

mandycharlie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 05 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an admission to make... almighty tahir... on bended knee I is...

hubby, who is not from country folk I hasten to say...

prefers,,, (close your ears all those that are a listening)

apples... that are softened by age.

to the point,, that as the good housewife, shopper that I am,,, who buys/steals/begs and borrows such wonderful apples,,,,, he then waits until they are wrinkled and soft before eating them..

I wipe my fevered brow with such endevours...

what can I do?

judith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 05 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mandycharlie wrote:
what can I do?

I wouldn't change a thing! Seems like the ideal scenario to me. You get to eat nice crunchy, juicy apples. Your poor misguided hubbie can have your leftovers. Where's the problem?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive