links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
is catching fish to eat viable?
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author 

Location: thrapston gardening foraging or preserving in the kitchen or eating of course
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 11 8:47 pm    Post subject: is catching fish to eat viable? Reply with quote

have lots of spare time and little money would it be viable for me to catch fish to eat does it take a long time to learn would it take me hours to catch any thing and does it cost a lot for licences rods et.
is coarse fish edilbe
i live close to a river and lakes.
many thanks

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 11 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bebo does course fishing. Not sure if she eats it though. Carp was certainly eaten a lot in the past, and perch and pike. Zander are edible and introduced and nasty.

Bodger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 11 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At most course fishing venues, you'd get lynched for thinking of, let alone actually eating what you catch.
In general, you can eat any trout that you catch and to a much lesser extent these days, any salmon but it tends to cost quite a bit to get the required permissions to fish for them.
You don't say where you live, but the sea is a much better proposition. Up to press, its still perfectly free to fish from the shore and most of what you'll catch is eminantly eatable.

rachelk

Location: thrapston gardening foraging or preserving in the kitchen or eating of course
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 11 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northants furthest you an get from the coast. Whats the thinking with coarse fish are they in danger even the odd pike here and there would e a problem?

Bebo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 11 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't eat them. If you went to a carp fishing venue and knocked one on the head to eat it you'd probably be strung up from the nearest tree. If you are going to try anything, I gather perch are reasonably tasty and pike are edible, but have vicious pin bones that you have to be very careful with (easy to get stuck in the throat). There was a period in the 70's when perch were thin on the ground, but they've had a resurgence and you'll probably be able to catch quite a few of them.

T.G

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 11 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it costs in rods, licences and learning you'd probably get more to eat from keeping a few meat rabbits.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 11 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodger wrote:
At most course fishing venues, you'd get lynched for thinking of, let alone actually eating what you catch.

So don't let 'em know your plans... It's not illegal, though do check the local rules.
Quote:
In general, you can eat any trout that you catch...

As long as they are not undersized.

And then of course, there are crayfish...

rachelk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 11 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think I could kill a rabbit I would have to look after it too.

Crayfish sounds promising i'll google it

Kenworth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 11 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't have to cost big money to fish.

We used cane poles when I was a kid. They were about 12' long. Nowadays they come jointed like a two piece rod. Nothing technical about them, just watch where you whip the line.

If I found a place I wanted to fish and had no pole, a young sapling could serve the same purpose.

rachelk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 11 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apparently you can dangle a piece of bacon rind from a bamboo cane and a length of string sounds like me. think i'll give it a go.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 11 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just check that the area has the right kind of crayfish. It is illegal to catch the endangered native ones.

https://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/recreation/fishing/38045.aspx

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 11 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rachelk wrote:
apparently you can dangle a piece of bacon rind from a bamboo cane and a length of string...

You may need a rod licence for that, but you may not need the cane.
You need a licence to trap them, but it's arguable that bacon & string is not a trap.
Jamanda wrote:
Just check that the area has the right kind of crayfish. It is illegal to catch the endangered native ones.

£4,000 fine I believe.
Best thing to do is give your local fisheries officer a call.

RichardW

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 11 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairyloon wrote:

And then of course, there are crayfish...

I think that the EA have now also started charging for a licence for the non native species.

rachelk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 11 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll need a rod licence for a cane, its classed as a rod. theres american cray fish further up the Nene not sure here though I need to find out. I need to have a go at catching and killing one though or a rod licence will be a waste.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 11 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try it without the cane...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive