Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Xmas dinner vegetables?
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 11 3:46 pm    Post subject: Xmas dinner vegetables? Reply with quote

What will be on your plate. I'm looking for a bit of inspiration.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 11 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We usually have a moderately 'traditional' veg selection. I like celery and carrots braised together in stock, makes a lighter addition to the heavier roast spuds. Very lightly steamed sprouts, red cabbage cooked with apple, roast parsnip, maybe some shallots roasted as well. Thats usually about it

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 11 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roast spuds, sprouts with glazed chestnuts, carrots, jerusalem artichoke puree. That'll be it this year. It's too much faff doing loads of different veg in quantities for three people IMHO.

AlexBy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 11 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a guardian magazine recipe earlier in the week for roasted sprouts and shallotts with thyme.
Cut until equal size bung in tray in olive oil, plenty pepper and a sprinkling of salt, throw on some thyme (mixed dried herbs in my case as thats all I had) , in oven on gas 5, for 35 mins turning over half way through then drizzle lemon juice on before serving.

I put them in bottom aga oven then in top for last cooking but left them in far too long so they were slightly more caramalised than suggested, but they turned out really well.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 11 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
Roast spuds, sprouts with glazed chestnuts, carrots, jerusalem artichoke puree. That'll be it this year. It's too much faff doing loads of different veg in quantities for three people IMHO.

We have 8, and to me a good roast is all about lots of different trimmings, so I do tend to go for a fair old range, and am looking to get out of a rut of the things we tend to do.

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 11 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same selection as Sally's in mind, though carrots, onions and celery will be cooked in with the pot-roast pheasant.
Jerusalem artichokes roasted with the spuds (I may regret this).

At some point, beetroot will be served as a hot vegetable with horseradish sauce, but probably not on 25th.

Azura Skye

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 11 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

red cabbage with cyder vinegar, apples and sultanas.
Roast tatties.
Spicy veg crumble... fry onions with coriander and cumin (lots of), add courgette, celery, carrots, peas, and tin tomatoes. cover with crumble oat topping, and bake. yum!

Marionb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 11 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had red cabbage for the first time a few weeks ago and loved it... I cant say as I've seen it for sale in the veg section though.. maybe because I wasnt looking for it?

How do you cook it... the same as other veg ie. boil in salted water?

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 11 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red cabbage is great stuff. The juice, or even just the water you boil it in, goes different colours in different pHs.

joanne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 11 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Hugh's celeriac gratin with chilli and garlic, mushy peas are a bit of a family tradition, roast potatoes, parsnips, carrots, sprouts with chestnuts

That's about it for veg but we usually have 2 or 3 stuffings as well

Azura Skye

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 11 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamanda wrote:
Red cabbage is great stuff. The juice, or even just the water you boil it in, goes different colours in different pHs.

which is always what i look for when cooking cabbage

pretty much like this (mum usually cooks it!)

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 11 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marionb wrote:
I had red cabbage for the first time a few weeks ago and loved it... I cant say as I've seen it for sale in the veg section though.. maybe because I wasnt looking for it?

How do you cook it... the same as other veg ie. boil in salted water?

It will be there, even in the supermarket !

I braise/casserole mine : chop 1 onion finely, and half a small red cabbage less finely. In a lidded casserole dish, put a thin layer of oil on the bottom, then layer cabbage, onion, perhaps a handful of sultanas, maybe a chopped and cored and sliced apple. Put a wee bit more oil over the top, and add a good glug of any of the following : orange juice, apple juice, cider, wine. Put the lid on and cook in an oven at 180C for about an hour.

Other things to add : some cinnamon powder, or ginger. Sliced carrots.

Marionb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 11 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Azura and Gil.... I may give that a go over the hols...

Midland Spinner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 11 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roast parsnips

(there might be other veg, but snips are pretty much all I care about )

Bebo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 11 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honey roast parsnips, sprouts (unadulterated cos the OH gets in a huff if I do poncey things to them like adding bacon or chestnuts), carrots, peas and maybe some buttered leeks. (and roast potatoes of course)

There will also be available on the table little sausages wrapped in bacon, stuffing balls, the stuffing from the turkey, yorkshire puds, bread sauce and two sorts of gravy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive