Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Pruning Cherry trees

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 12 8:14 pm    Post subject: Pruning Cherry trees Reply with quote

I have a cherry tree in the back garden, well, I have 2, but the other one's fine. The problem with this one it that's it's growing next to a willow and an apply tree. Now, I like the apple tree: it gives me apples, but it's being blocked by the cherry, which doesn't. It doesn't even give me cherries as it's ornamental. I don't want to take it out though as it's a good place to hang the hammock.

What I'd like to do is pollard it so that I can still hand the hammock but give light to the apple tree. What I want to know is, should I cut it now it's dormant (well, napping, given how cold it isn't) or wait 'til it's flowered as I believe it's best to do to keep it fruiting.

yummersetter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 12 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not in winter, you need to prune it and paint the cuts in the summer. At least it'll have flowered first.

Northern_Lad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 12 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you - I don't mind letting it flower.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 12 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cut it for a hammock post and see if it does pretty as a bonus

Marches

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 12 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Pruning Cherry trees Reply with quote

Northern_Lad wrote:
I have a cherry tree in the back garden, well, I have 2, but the other one's fine. The problem with this one it that's it's growing next to a willow and an apply tree. Now, I like the apple tree: it gives me apples, but it's being blocked by the cherry, which doesn't. It doesn't even give me cherries as it's ornamental. I don't want to take it out though as it's a good place to hang the hammock.

What I'd like to do is pollard it so that I can still hand the hammock but give light to the apple tree. What I want to know is, should I cut it now it's dormant (well, napping, given how cold it isn't) or wait 'til it's flowered as I believe it's best to do to keep it fruiting.

Just cut some of the lower branches back and seal the cuts with Arbex. On smaller branches you could probably just scorch the cut ends of the branches to seal them and stop bleeding that way.

tahir

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 12 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't paint wounds, they seem to do OK.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive