Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
rimfires .22 or .17
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 05 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely it's not what someone can do, it's what the majority can do that counts.

I don't doubt someone would be a better shot than myself, but the laws are for the majority of the people - with good reason (although with some of the latest laws (hunting) I feel there may be a danger of blurring the good reason bit)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 05 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say no more.

shaun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 05 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally received my FAC last saturday and with no time to waste purchased a CZ American .22 rimfire and a Tasco 2.5-10x44 scope. I have had a couple of outings with it to try to get to grips with the trajectory and have managed three grey squirells and a couple of rabbits. Rifle shootingis OK but it comes nowhere near the enjoyment of walking quarry up over a dog and using a shotgun.

Lloyd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 05 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CZ Ameriacn is the .17. If yours is .22, is it semi auto?...mine's bolt action. Must be nice and quiet with moderator though...Do you have one fitted?..Lucky you, you must be SOOOO excited!...What sort of land do you shoot over?

Lloyd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 05 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree wholeheartedly with DS. I actually prefer rifle to shotty as I can't hit bugger all with a shotty!...Had the lessons, done the practise, just can't hit the broad side of a barn at 20 paces!

shaun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 05 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a bolt action and very quiet with the moderator fitted and sub sonic ammo. I shoot with the rifle at ellesmere in shropshire, went on saturday came away with three good sized rabbits after a mooch about. All three head shot the furthest paced out to 85 yards. I think the mil-dot scope helps. As for comparing although both rifle and shotgun differ in the methods for taking quarry I was just stating my personal preference for taking moving shots.

Lloyd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 05 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds more accurate than my old .22!...Do you use a bipod, or shoot prone?...What range are you zeroed for?

My CZ suffers less with trajectory change than my .22 does, due to supersonic ultra light round, but it is the heavy barrelled version, so when you then add scope, moderator, bipod, sling, it weighs quite a lot!

shaun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 05 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is zeroed for 50 yards but for the long range shot Iwas resting on a fence rail and aimed off by using the next dot down from centre on the reticule.

Do not think I am some kind of hot shot, that was probably a one off and it was a very still day, but i do have 2 witnesses to what i have told you. I managed to miss a few aswell due to pulling the shot at the last minuite.

There is a bi-pod on but i am thinking about removing it due to the weight as you say when silencer, scope etc are fitted.

Lloyd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 05 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate, don't put yourself down!..You took the shot and killed it. Simple as that. These are very accurate and reliable weapons, when used correctly. I'd say stick with the bipod, and USE IT!!...Then you will stop missing!.....if it's there then take advantage of what's on offer.

Lloyd

coyotekiller

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 05 5:04 am    Post subject: 17 HMR Reply with quote

Greetings from America. While exploring this website I've found quite a number of inquiries concerning the 17 HMR for various applications. This cartridge and now many firearm combinations has to be one of the greatest creations of the firearm industry. I personally shoot a scoped Savage heavy barrel with a Harris bipod. Funnest rifle I've ever owned. I bought it specifally for fox hunting but have found it to be very versatile in other areas. Drops fox in their tracks. My longest fox kill was right at 173 yards and it dropped dead on impact. I have shot several prairie dogs past
three hundred yards. The factory specs on what the cartridge is capable of are way off the mark. I have shot one rabbit as an experiment. I should say that it rather "exploded". Sure was impressive to see. Yes it works well for coyotes but don't over extend yourself. A headshot is best, but a lungshot works well within 150-175 yards. On a good day my savage will shoot nickel sized 5-shot groups at 200 yards. I use mine also for long range sitting pheasant out in the corn fields. Have shot several large raccoon. Like the fox, DEAD ON IMPACT. I have nothing but praise for this cartridge. Also have made several 150 yard head shots on squirrels. It shoots flat, hits hard, leaves em dead. What more needs to be said?

Ira

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 05 12:09 pm    Post subject: 17HMR vs 22 rim fire Reply with quote

I for one would NOT leave out the 22 MAg as a small varmit cartridge. The 22 MAgs performance is a lot better the any 22LR, and while giving 1800 to 2000 FPS with a 40 grain bullet compared to a 17 or 20 grain being pushed at 1900 to 2150 with a .17HMR (wind) deflection limits this cartridge to 125 yrds. You must also consider the bullet energy as the .17 HMR will be half of the bullet energy from a 22 MAG. For an all around small game cartridge the 22 MAG is a great performer.

Lloyd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 05 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, the .17 hmr, (not mach 2 version) has muzzle velocity of 2600 fps minimum, depending on manufacturer. In moderate wind conditions, a five shot group inside the outer bull on a target, that is to say, about a fifty pence piece, is readily predictable.

Lastly, when considering impact and penetration, the .22 will punch through the target, whilst the .17 hmr has a frangible bullet tip, constructed of polymer resin, which fragments into the target causing masive tearing damage, in addition to that which is caused by the hydrostatic pressure waves which rupture internal organs.

Still love me ole .22 though, nice old fashioned gun.

coyotekiller

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 05 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there Ira. I'm smiling as I think back on your post above. First of all, no one is discounting tho .22 mag as a small game cartridge. I used one for years for fox hunting until I fell in love with the .17 HMR. If I may I'd like to share some figures with you. 17. HMR at the muzzle is about 2600 fps.. .22 mag. averages around 1900. Muzzle energy for HMR is about 245 ft/lbs. .22 mag. 338 ft/lbs. At 100 yds velocity for HMR is still smokin at 1901. .22 mag is already down to 1445. HMR energy at 100 yds is around 136 ft/lbs.. .22 mag is still strong at 155 ft/lbs.. You say half, I say I think not. At 200 yds HMR velocity is still close to 1400 fps. .22 MAG between 1100/1200. Hmr energy is only 72 ft/lbs, .22 mag around 85 ft/lbs.. Please don't trust me on these figures. Do your own research rather than rely on and then quote your own experiences. Some people know better. The real deciding factor here is which one are you more likely to hit your target with. I laugh again at wind drift. The HMR is barely affected by most winds simply because it spends so little time in it. Lightning fast it is. I have prairie dog kills over 300 yds with mine so I know firsthand what it will kill and what it won't. Actually I'm even wondering if you've even had any real amount of time if any shooting the HMR. You seem terribly unimformed about it. Have a great day.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 05 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Succinctly put, CK!

I know a few game keepers who prefer the little .17 hmr as the weapon of choice for foxes, over larger slower rounds.

Erikht

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 05 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't red all the posts before this, so sombody might have said this before, but if you plan to buy one riflr and one rifle only for use in the uk, the .223 looks like a good alternative. A bit bigger, but with a very varied use, and with an extremely neat trajectory.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive