Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
rimfires .22 or .17
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 05 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read this post with some interest, as I have been shooting nearly all of my life...(oldish git now) I feel I can add some pointers to what would be your best starter. .17 is a nice wee rifle, but I feel it is under powered (my own personal opinion) for starting out I would go with the .22 rimfire, this has all the stopping power you will need for rabbits, I have shoot foxes out to 80 yrds and killed they cleanly with this calibre, any further and I wouldn't attempt these distances.

If after you feel you want to progress to a bigger rifle I would suggest a .223 centrefire. this is an ideal varmint rifle for foxes, great when lamping at night.

Lloyd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 05 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Dunny, what's wrong with clean headshote on foxes at one or two hundred yards with a .17, and not even in Mach 2 variation?

The bullet trajectory with .22 LR sub or super sonic is too great to be precise in weather variables, and so cannot secure repetitive clean kills.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive