About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Downsizer deals?
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 05 12:45 pm    Post subject: Downsizer deals? Reply with quote

Some traders have generously suggested special deals for Downsizer memebers. However, I'm not sure how you define a member, is it someone who has just joined, someone who has been a member for over a few months, someone with more than 50 posts to their name?

What do people think about being offered special offers as Downsizer members? Would this make you more likely to trade?

I'm certainly not suggesting traders need to do this, if anything my personal view is not to do this. I would rather the trader just mention the Downsizer site to people they think might find us useful - something that many people are doing already.

I would be interested to hear anyone elses view to help existing and new traders.

Rob R

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 05 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see how, for certain traders, it may be an option, but the complexities you mention would be one reason I wouldn't do it, the other being that all my prices offered through Downsizer represent such a good deal that I couldn't afford to reduce them anymore.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 05 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd support Rob on this, not that I've got anything to sell, or enough freezer space to buy stuff from him. Discounting is no way to build sales.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 05 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is all a matter for the individual trader. Discounting is a time honored marketing strategy that works well in some cases.

I can see it working well for the Olive oil people who offered a discount, and I expect they know this.

But whilst I am no marketing expert, it does strike me as very inappropriate for RobR.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 05 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discounting 'works' if you're trying to grab market share, a bit. I can't really see it working for most of our traders. The problem is that the 'discounted price' becomes the 'real price' very quickly.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 05 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you define a downsizer member? Just a registered person, in which case they could register and then claim a discount, or someone with a reputation ( )?

Rob R

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 05 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
or someone with a reputation ( )?

Not sure it would earn me a discount though

Behemoth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 05 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I claim 10% off my hoggett with my "I've got a reputation voucher"!

I'd say leave it to the invidiual trader about what discount if any and any criteria they may apply.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 05 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you be offering an extra length of meat to members when your sausage empire arises?

Rob R

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 05 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behemoth wrote:
I claim 10% off my hoggett with my "I've got a reputation voucher"!

You can have 10% off- the price stays the same but I keep the chops

I won't even comment on what sean says

Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 05 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what I want from traders here is someone with a personality, who will answer questions about their product, and also help out with the knowledge they have elsewhere. Rob does this a lot and Rory is helpful with other new businesses or would-be businesses and Sally is helpful with people's craft problems; that kind of thing not only makes me inclined to buy from them if they have a product I want but also makes me happy to recommend them to other people even if I don't.

Such actions in themself are quite an investment.

I can however see why some traders would find it appropriate to offer something extra or a discount etc, it all depends on the individual, but I would encourage people to post rather than to discount, if they want to encourage customers.

If I were in the market for meat I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Rob. As it is I've been trying to recommend him to my sister.

Lionheart

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 05 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tsh tsh.......discounting excellent farm-reared or grown produce?

It's heresy I say!!

We'll shortly be starting to sell White Park beef, Whitefaced Woodland lamb and Ixworth table birds from the farm gate (once the web site is up and running!) and you can bet your bottom dollar that it'll be more expensive than anything else you can buy around these parts.

I have no time for producers who undersell their produce and try and match the supermarkets on price just to entice local housewives. These people don't understand their marketplace.

A quality product demands a quality price.

Behemoth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 05 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob R wrote:

You can have 10% off- the price stays the same but I keep the chops

B*gg*r!

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 05 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReevesRareBreeds wrote:
I have no time for producers who undersell their produce and try and match the supermarkets on price just to entice local housewives. These people don't understand their marketplace.

Well said, i hope you'll be advertising on here

bagpuss

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 05 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReevesRareBreeds wrote:
Tsh tsh.......discounting excellent farm-reared or grown produce?

It's heresy I say!!

We'll shortly be starting to sell White Park beef, Whitefaced Woodland lamb and Ixworth table birds from the farm gate (once the web site is up and running!) and you can bet your bottom dollar that it'll be more expensive than anything else you can buy around these parts.

I will be most interesting to see what you sell and for how much as finding good local sources of meat is always useful

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive