Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Sterile Peritonitis?

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 12 8:26 am    Post subject: Sterile Peritonitis? Reply with quote

Hello
One of my hens has been 'off' for a few weeks, we didn't expect her to still be with us by now but after a lot of research she seems to be having symptoms that point towards sterile peritonitis...

Firstly, she hasn't come back into lay after her moult at the start of the winter. She has a swollen abdomen which is making her walk like John Wayne and is a bit difficult for her to nestle down on the ground. Her poops are sometimes quite watery, sometimes she makes ones that look like watered down pva glue! But after keeping her indoors for a day I saw that there are 'normal' poops too.

But, she is eating and drinking well. She is moving around and is still pecking and scratching, sunbathing when there's sun and chasing off lower ranking hens when there are treats about.

I'm almost positive that it is S.P. but I'm not that experienced with sick hens (we had a hen with prolapses and eventually fatal peritonitis last year but thats it) so I just need someone else to confirm this or offer other ideas please, if you don't mind

Thank you!

Leo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 12 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, not sure how helpful this is, but, the only times i've come across this condition it has required that some of the fluid in the abdomen be drained off (by a vet). The infection of this fluid kills the hen eventually.
If she is doing ok at the moment, I would suggest that you try to inhibit her egg laying (albeit internal laying), by limiting hours of light & feeding corn, but not layers pellets. It is possible that she will re-absorb some of the eggs over time.
I have heard of pet hens being implanted with hormones to prevent laying, but this is an expensive option & has to be re-done each laying season.
Good luck with a difficult condition, but be prepared to 'call it a day' if she goes downhill.

Haze

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 12 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm not too hopeful about the outcome now, especially as she's starting to get a purple tinge on her comb
We'll have to see how she goes and then make a decision on the next move, thanks for replying Leo.

chez

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 12 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading with interest - no experience of this in person. I tend to cull if they stop laying like that

Leo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 12 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's sad, but I think the best you can do is 'buy them a little time'. Have heard of them managing an extra season, if you can stop them laying. I think if you get the light down to 5/6 hours a day they can last a bit longer.
It has always been pets that i've come across that folks have done this with, but then it's 'where do I draw the line' as they go downhill.
Good luck

chez

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 12 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So long as they aren't suffering, I think it's fine - pets are pets are pets, whether they're animal, vegetable or mineral!

Haze

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 12 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, she's a pet. It's hard to know what to do really as one moment she's fighting off the other girls for grapes, the next moment hunched up.
We'll have to figure out a way to keep her in the dark for those 18-19 hours. She won't like it but it's her only chance as far as I can see.

Thanks again Chez and Leo, will keep you posted

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive