Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Joining plasterboard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 12 11:24 am    Post subject: Joining plasterboard Reply with quote

The time has come to tackle the inside of the wash-house. The plasterboard is up.

What I want to do is cover the joins but without using any plaster. Is plasterer's paper tape what I need? Is is self adhesive? I' intend to paint straight over it.

mochyn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 12 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand, would masking tape work? If not, why not?

Answer on one side of the paper only, please.

Marionb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 12 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought was that you cant paint directly onto plasterboard. I may well be wrong though.

My second thought was that if you use masking tape, you cant paint over that tidily, either. Again, I am no expert and may be wrong on this one too.

I will be interested to find out how wrong I am

mousjoos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 12 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The self adhesive stuff is similar to cotton scrim but is fibreglass (I'm told).....joint compound isn't really plaster as such, & is worth the effort if you can stand the dust

Masking tape doesn't appear to have long lasting stick, so would peel after a while, usually when exposed to sunlight

12Bore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 12 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plasterer's paper tape, if you use masking tape there are two problems, it is not designed to be permanent and will dry out and or lose it's adherence properties, it is also made with a surface not designed to take paint permanently. PB is two sided, one side deigned for paintinr, the other for papering. Oh, if you have gaps between the sheets, fill them.

Nick

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 12 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paint won't cover joints, you'll always see them. A quick run round with lining paper would make a better job, for my money. Whatever, make sure your prime well first, as it'll soak up paint or paste otherwise.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 12 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or have a plasterer do a skim coat.

alice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 12 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on youtube, it's all explained there on some US clips. Search for drywalling. If you use the fibreglass tape and the proper filler you'll get a finish you can paint straight over and you can't see the join.
We always used to use lining paper before walloping but have recently been converted.
There's also a special plasterboard undercoat you can buy instead of using coats and coats of watered down emulsion which is what is usually recommended and it's magical stuff.
We've plasterboarded our big kitchen, taped and filled, one coat of undercoat, one coat of quality emulsion - you wouldn't know it hadn't been plastered it's so seamless.

Gervase

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 12 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By a roll of fibreglass jointing tape and a tub of filler. Use a flat edge (a fancy jointing knife if you've got one, otherwise a flat edge you use for icing, or any flat, flexible piece of metal) to get the tape stuck well over the joins, and then use the same edge to apply the filler so it get behind the honeycomb of the tape and fills the gap. Then skim with the pink stuff. If you're not up to skimming, there is a finishing compound you apply with a roller which will give an orange-peel finish which can be painted over (so it says on the tub) Never tried it, but the DIY warehouses sell it.

onemanband

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 12 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a major consideration as it will be the next persons problem .............

It's a real pain removing wall tiles from un-skimmed plasterboard and you usually end up replacing the board.

mochyn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 12 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gervaise: me? Icing? Yuck: hate the stuff and hate doing it. I'm not particular about the finish: it's only a wash-house.

And as for tiling: absolutelu not! I just want a rough and ready surface that I can paint. Don't mind undercoating.

carlseawolf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 12 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work with a plaster part time and normal PB has two sides, one for plastering ( plain side ) and one for decorating ( normally has writing on . This PB has square edges and is desgined to butt up together and then use a self adhesive mesh tape on the joins before appling 2 coats of plaster.

Tthe other type of PB is for taping and joining and has a bevelled edge to allow the tape to be lower in the join to allow a thin layer of plaster to be run over the join and finish flat with the board, and doing away with the plaster coat.

T.G

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 12 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can fill the join with dry wall adhesive, it will paint over too the paper tape stuff is good.

You can lining paper (if you use the thicker lining paper it works really well) the walls prior to painting if you make sure the joins in the wallpaper are off set to the joins in the plasterboard and you've covered the joins with either the tape or the DWA you can make a good job of and get away without skimming the walls. (from what I gather they don't plaster in the states they are just PB and painted).

Skimming is not expensive though (well in these ere parts) I had a 12x14' room skimmed recently, it has a chimney breast, a door and a set of french doors it was two full walls a ceiling and 2 half walls (the bottoms are wood paneled) we'd boarded it out, they covered the joins, put the metal stuff around the corners (I forget its name) and they provided the plaster and it was £230. Thought it might help to give you an idea.

carlseawolf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 12 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoke with the plaster today and he said not to paint straight on to the plaster board in a wet room as it's not enough protection.
He recommends at least a thin coat of plaster to protect the PB from moisture.

Nature'sgrafter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 12 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daft question did you use the green plasterboard as it's moisture resistant or the ordinary ?
if it's the ordinary get it skimmed don't just tape and fill.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive