About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
TICKS!
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 05 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh surgical spirit is the best way to go ...spent a few months in oz, each night i would have to sit there and remove ticks from my legs.. a drop of surgical spirtit on their bum .. then after a few mins they would remove their head from your skin... then you can flick them into the fire ...and they pop !

tawny owl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 05 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougal wrote:
Well surgical spirit is just ethanol (booze alcohol) plus enough methanol to render it unfit to drink.
I was sure I remembered using alcohol, but it seems that is "an old wives tale", ineffective, etc. !

You're absolutely right to check that out, but I'm doubtful about the accuracy of the 'about.com' pages - I've found things in there I know are absolutely wrong before.

As it happens, the Dog Rescue Network, Patient UK, and several other sites still recommend Vaseline or other suffocating-type product, but then others don't, so what to do?

We used to use firelighters (the white ones), which I think have paraffin in them. Just stroke the firelighter very gently over the tick, and it lets go in seconds. It certainly seems it's a lot better to try to persuade it to let go than try to remove it by force and risk leaving bits of it in the wound. The problem about regurgitating into the wound seems to be a problem only in areas with Lyme disease.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive