Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
To anyone who has never bought a mail order meat box...
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Author 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 12 2:44 pm    Post subject: To anyone who has never bought a mail order meat box... Reply with quote

...what are your main reasons for not trying it?

I'm curious, as we have reduced price & minimum order weight, and am wondering what else to do to make it more convenient.

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 12 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm cheating - I have had mail order meat - but my "hurdles" were:

What happens if I'm out when it's delivered? Will it get warm on the doorstep and take itself for a walk?

Will it fit in the freezer - I have trouble visualising how large a 2kg joint is for example. Daft as it sounds, do you have a picture of a meat box that can show scale? (now there's a use for an old Yellow Pages!)

Will I like it? It's a lot of money committed to something that can have a stronger taste.

Nick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 12 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told my neighbours, who are keen to get good quality meat, regardless of price I could source it for them.

The quantities are BELIEVED to be too big. It would never fit in their freezer. I explained half a lamb pretty much fit into a single freezer drawer, and they went for it, but that was their main objection.

Andrea

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 12 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ordered meat boxes as gifts, and my biggest worry was being in when it was delivered.

Sally Too

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 12 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say UK wide on one page and mainland UK on another. Maybe you mean GB wide.

Northern Ireland is too far - I guess.

alice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 12 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy them but I've always assumed you couldn't send them this far

Rob R

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 12 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sally too wrote:
You say UK wide on one page and mainland UK on another. Maybe you mean GB wide.

Northern Ireland is too far - I guess.

Thanks for that - I've now amended it for clarity.

alice wrote:
I'd buy them but I've always assumed you couldn't send them this far

Northern Ireland and the Scottish Highlands are possible but cost so much more that it makes it unviable, plus they can't guarantee it. Having said that I have sent wool to the USA before that arrived next day!

AnnaD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 12 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been able to buy one yet because we are so poor. After food and bills we have nothing left over, so there's no way we can afford to buy more expensive meat, even though it's still a great price. I hate having to buy supermarket meat, but at the moment we have no choice. One day when we can afford to, we'll definitely be getting your meat boxes, but that may not be for another year.

Rob R

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 12 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnnaD wrote:
I haven't been able to buy one yet because we are so poor. After food and bills we have nothing left over, so there's no way we can afford to buy more expensive meat, even though it's still a great price. I hate having to buy supermarket meat, but at the moment we have no choice. One day when we can afford to, we'll definitely be getting your meat boxes, but that may not be for another year.

Would you have any prices for me to work to? We're considering doing premium & value boxes in the near future.

I've just been going through Tesco.com and there is a range of prices starting at below the cost of meat by the carcass (I dread to think what they mince up to make that one work, as they will be paying that for the carcasses) up to some that costs a little more than our standard price for everything.

AnnaD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 12 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I'm really not sure. At the moment we're mostly buying meat that's on offer, or things like mince that can be stretched for a few meals. I really have no clue how much we pay per month or week, so I'm probably not going to be of much help.

But we do go for cheap cuts and we like beef heart, but I can't really get into other offal. So you could do a box of the cheaper cuts that aren't used as much like cheek or ox tail or heart. Other than that I'm not sure other than barter!

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 12 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have an "adventurous" box - feet, tails, tongues, cheeks....?

Value / premium sounds good though

Rob R

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 12 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that you mention oxtail - that's one cut that will be going in the premium options.

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 12 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Rant warning*

Bloody celeb chefs making all the cheap cuts fashionable and bloody expensive rarrRRRRRR

*end of rant*

Of course I can't be annoyed at producers selling to a more affluent market, but it's a sad day when pig feet are a pound apiece

Pilsbury

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 12 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's cow foot that's the big sellers in the shops round here.

foggy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 12 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat as Anna D.

Can't afford anything other than meat that's on is display by/use by date & has been reduced.

If I could afford it though, I have a tiny freezer. Does your meat come frozen? Or would it be possible to get it... fresh?

A farm down the road from me offers Dexter at £8.50/kg, all pre-frozen.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive