Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Limping chicken. Help please!

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 12 8:27 am    Post subject: Limping chicken. Help please! Reply with quote

Hello. One of my cream legbars seems to have bruised her leg. She's having a lot of difficulty walking on it and it's slightly twisted inwards so it 'traps' her good foot under and it keeps tripping her up. DH suggested taking her to the vet, which I'm perfectly happy to do if it would help. But I wanted to see if there was anything I could do myself to help her first? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tania

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 12 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Limping chicken. Help please! Reply with quote

Minamoo wrote:
Hello. One of my cream legbars seems to have bruised her leg. She's having a lot of difficulty walking on it and it's slightly twisted inwards so it 'traps' her good foot under and it keeps tripping her up. DH suggested taking her to the vet, which I'm perfectly happy to do if it would help. But I wanted to see if there was anything I could do myself to help her first? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi a friends chicken recently ran into their back door and has since been limping and unable to put her foot down - she has transfered hers to a smaller 'hospital' cage so it can't move around so much and aggravate it .
I would suggest gently checking to see if you can feel any brakes - if not try confining her for a while - if that doesn't work after a week or it gets worse try taking her to the vet - my friend did end up taking hers and the vet gave it an anti inflamitory injection - this does seem to have helped along with being in a smaller space.

Let us know how she gets on!

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 12 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if no break try nursing ,if broken soup

the brutal truth is a new chook is better value than a vet visit ,sorry

Bodger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 12 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An uexplained limp can be a sign of Mareks, which has been said on here before, isn't good.

Minamoo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 12 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodger wrote:
An uexplained limp can be a sign of Mareks, which has been said on here before, isn't good.

She is the bully chicken. Forever chasing the others round the coop and flying over/under/into things. I wouldn't be surprised if someone finally got the better of her.

I've felt for a break and there is none. Nor does she struggle when I try to manipulate her leg. So I suspect bruised badly rather than broken. She's still limping quite a bit but marginally less than she was last night when we found her.

I've been feeding her scrambled eggs and polenta which she loves.

She's now confined in the downstairs loo where she can't walk around or (more importantly) engage in her favourite pass-time - tormenting the young birds.

Thank you all for the advice.

Tania

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 12 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear getting better today!

gritstone

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 12 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mate had a chicken with a broken leg and splinted it with a sucker stick and it's fine now. He is a veggie tho, I'd have gone for soup as suggested

Minamoo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 12 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had to cull her. She wasn't getting any better and yesterday she looked really sorry for herself and her walking had become even more tough. When we dressed her, we found that one of her legs is so wobbly. We think she dislocated her leg at the hip because one was really wobbly compared to the other. It's such a shame as she was such a lovely friendly (to us) bird.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive